This grapefruit yogurt cake has been adapted by a few bloggers from a recipe of Ina Garten's. I found it on Picky Cook and just had to give it a try since I love yogurt cake and I love grapefruit in baked goods. The result is amazing--awesome grapefruit flavor, perfectly moist from the simple syrup, and topped off with a delicious tangy glaze. The cake is a tad time-consuming since you have to make two glazes, but the results are well worth it. This is the perfect way to enjoy a grapefruit. ;)
Grapefruit Yogurt Cake (adapted from Picky Cook, original here)
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1 cup plain non-fat yogurt
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs
zest of three smallish grapefruits
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup vegetable oil
For the simple syrup:
1 T sugar
1/3 cup freshly squeezed grapefruit juice (from the grapefruits above)
For the glaze:
1 cup confectioner's sugar
2-4 tablespoons freshly squeezed grapefruit juice (from the grapefruits above)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a loaf pan with soft butter. Line the bottom with parchment paper and grease the parchment. Dust the pan with flour.
2. Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt into a small bowl. In a larger bowl, whisk together the yogurt, sugar, eggs, grapefruit zest, and vanilla. Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just incorporated. With a rubber spatula, fold the vegetable oil into the batter, making sure it is all incorporated. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 50 minutes, or until a cake tester placed in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
3. Make the simple syrup while the cake bakes. Pour the grapefruit juice and the sugar into a small pan. Heat over medium heat until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is clear. Set aside.
4. When the cake is done, allow it to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Carefully remove it from the pan and place on a baking rack set over a sheet pan. While the cake is still warm, pour the grapefruit-sugar mixture over the cake and allow it to soak in. Allow the cake to cool completely.
5. Make the glaze. Whisk the grapefruit juice and confectioner's sugar together until smooth. Drizzle over the cake.