Thursday, August 6, 2009

Sour Cherry-Pistachio Crumble

As promised, here's another sour cherry recipe I made with canned sour cherries, the only sort that seems to be available here in California. Although the cherries weren't as sour as I wanted, this crisp was still entirely delicious! The less-than-perfect cherries were perfectly complemented by the salty, crunchy pistachio topping. I will definitely be using this topping again on other fruit crisps, either with cherries or other fruits.

It was actually this recipe that inspired me to get the Sweet Melissa Baking Book in the first place! When it popped up all over the blogs as part of Sweet Melissa Sundays, I just knew I had to try and and see what other recipes were inside. Although this is the only one I've tried so far, I'm looking forward to baking some more in the near future!

Sour Cherry-Pistachio Crumble (adapted from The Sweet Melissa Baking Book)

Filling
1 pound sour cherries, pitted and rinsed
1/4 cup sugar, or more to taste
1 1/2 T cornstarch
Pinch kosher salt

Topping
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup oat flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/2 cup shelled unsalted whole pistachios, chopped medium fine
3 T unsalted butter, melted and cooled

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a smallish baking dish with oil and set aside on a half sheet pan.
2. Make the topping first. Whisk together the flour, oat flour, sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Pour in the butter and stir together with a fork until everything is combined.
3. Make the filling in a separate bowl. Mix all the filling ingredients together and then pour into baking dish.
4. Crumble the topping over the filling.
5. Bake about 45 minutes until the filling bubbles and the topping is nicely browned.

11 comments:

  1. Berkeley Bowl had fresh sour cherries on Tuesday evening, that's the only place I've ever seen them in California. They tend to get them sporadically in the summer, so if you want some fresh cherries it might be worth checking there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i already love pistachios, so this combo sounds great to me

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a clever crumble! I really like the pistachio and sour cherry combo - delish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pistachios would go great in a cherry crumble!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the pistachio and cherry combo. I bet it tastes delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A simple but really delcious combo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Christina: Thanks so much for the tip! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks sooooooooooooooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That crumble looks beautifully, err.. crumbly! How have I gone this long without ever cooking with sour cherries. Can't wait to give it a try once the Australian sour cherry season begins.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks like a GREAT crumble! I recently made some granola from my blog for the second time, that has pistachios and dried cherries in it, so I appreciate the combo. I'd love to try it like this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, boy oh boy I want a bowl of this now! Seriously! I simply love cherries, but paired like this with pistachios is stunning! Yum!!!

    ReplyDelete