As promised, here's another sour cherry recipe I made with canned sour cherries, the only sort that seems to be available here in California. Although the cherries weren't as sour as I wanted, this crisp was still entirely delicious! The less-than-perfect cherries were perfectly complemented by the salty, crunchy pistachio topping. I will definitely be using this topping again on other fruit crisps, either with cherries or other fruits.
It was actually this recipe that inspired me to get the Sweet Melissa Baking Book in the first place! When it popped up all over the blogs as part of Sweet Melissa Sundays, I just knew I had to try and and see what other recipes were inside. Although this is the only one I've tried so far, I'm looking forward to baking some more in the near future!
Sour Cherry-Pistachio Crumble (adapted from The Sweet Melissa Baking Book)
1 pound sour cherries, pitted and rinsed
1/4 cup sugar, or more to taste
1 1/2 T cornstarch
Pinch kosher salt
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup oat flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/2 cup shelled unsalted whole pistachios, chopped medium fine
3 T unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a smallish baking dish with oil and set aside on a half sheet pan.
2. Make the topping first. Whisk together the flour, oat flour, sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Pour in the butter and stir together with a fork until everything is combined.
3. Make the filling in a separate bowl. Mix all the filling ingredients together and then pour into baking dish.
4. Crumble the topping over the filling.
5. Bake about 45 minutes until the filling bubbles and the topping is nicely browned.