Sunday, December 6, 2009

Lime-Coconut-White Chocolate Chip Muffins

These muffins were the second of three varieties my mom and I baked for a staff breakfast at her school. These are are much more the "cupcake disguised as breakfast" style of muffins, and they're extremely delicious. (You might be able to guess this was my favorite recipe of the three!) They're sweet, moist, and full of coconut and lime flavors. The white chocolate adds sweet bursts of richness, while the acid in the lime sets everything off nicely and keeps these from being too over-the-top. I recommend serving these muffins warm, either a few minutes out of the oven or after 10 seconds in the microwave.


Lime-Coconut-White Chocolate Chip Muffins (adapted from Sarah's Cucina Bella, original recipe here)
Makes about 28 muffins

4 cups all purpose flour
2 T baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup sweetened coconut
4 large eggs
2 cups low fat milk
1-1/3 cups granulated sugar
1 cup canola oil
Zest of 2 limes
2 tsp vanilla
1 bag white chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line muffin tins with paper liners.

Whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and coconut in a large bowl.

In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, sugar, canola oil, lime zest and vanilla. Pour into the bowl with the flour mixture and fold together with a rubber spatula until just combined. Add the white chocolate chips and fold gently to incorporate.

Fill the muffin tins, and then cook in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. You may need to tent the tops with foil if they get brown too quickly. Cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.

I'm submitting this recipe for the 12 Days of Sharing Virtual Cookie Swap! Click below to check it out and donate to a good cause.

12DaysCookies_badge-1

18 comments:

  1. Yummy! These sound so good-especially with the lime. I'm bookmarking this page for the future (the near future)

    Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can't beat lime and coconut... These muffins look wonderful! I will have to pick up some coconut so I can give them a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you liked them! These are a favorite around my house. Love the idea of including white chocolate chips in the recipe too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy - these look wonderful! It's rainy and miserable here at the moment but the tropical flavours in these pretty muffins would really brighten up the day! Love the flavours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also bookmaked this recipe. I can't wait to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  6. these sound way too good to be "muffins"!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, what an interesting combo of flavors!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing this recipe. I can't wait to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmm, cooconut and lime are a great combination. I think I would have loved these cupcake/muffins :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am bookmarking this cup cakes Sara. Sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous flavours, all in one muffin! Y.U.M.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi :) I thought you might want to know that your recipe has inspired for a slightly modification involving cream cheese ;) There: http://bohemiankitchen.com/?p=6

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are delicious! My 7 year old 4-H Clover Kid made these for a muffin contest. She just zested 1 lime and used 1 lime's juice, only modification. Not a bad return, 6 muffins raised $60!

    ReplyDelete
  14. @ OurHennHouse - That's awesome!! :) I'm so glad the muffin recipe was such a success!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The muffins were nice, but they had an eggy flavour, so the lime and coconut flavour did not come through. Should I reduce the egg or add more lime zest or juice? The texture of the muffins are otherwise totally spot on!

    ReplyDelete
  16. @ Natalie Hmmm, not sure - the muffins didn't taste to eggy to me, so maybe it's a personal preference thing? I would probably take a plain muffin recipe you know you like and add some coconut, lime zest, and white chocolate to it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A dear friend treated me to a batch of these for my birthday. They were just delish! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you got to enjoy these! Glad they turned out well! :)

      Delete