Sunday, September 5, 2010

Strawberry Barley Scones

These are some of the most amazing scones I've ever eaten!  The barley flour adds a fantastic nutty flavor, and I think that having less gluten in the scones makes them extra tender.  I love the idea of baking the jam right into the scones - you can use any flavor you like, and the scones will be especially good if you have homemade jam on hand.  These are especially good warm out of the oven, but they keep fairly well for a day or two - I'd recommend reheating the scones in a toaster oven before eating them.



Strawberry Barley Scones (adapted from Good to the Grain)
Makes 8

Dry Mix:
1 cup plus 2 T barley flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
¼ cup dark brown sugar
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
1-1/4 tsp kosher salt

Wet Mix:
4 ounces (1 stick) cold unsalted butter
½ cup buttermilk
1 egg

To finish:
½ cup strawberry jam

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with parchment.

2. Whisk together the dry ingredients.  Cut the butter into 8 pieces and then cut into the dry ingredients with a pastry blender or two knives.

3. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and buttermilk. Pour into the dry mixture and mix until barely combined.

4. Transfer dough to a well-floured surface and dust with flour.  Divide into 2 halves, and pat each piece into a disk about ¾ inch thick and 7 inches in diameter.  Cover one disk with the jam.  Top with the other disk and press down gently.  Use a sharp knife to cut into 8 wedges.  Place on the baking sheet.

5. Bake the scones 22-26 minutes.  To keep the scones from sticking, slide a thin spatula under while still warm and place on a cooling rack. 

4 comments:

  1. It's cloudy here, and this scones will be perfect to have for my breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strawberry scones are my favorite

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mm they do look amazing and I can't believe I've never eaten strawberry scones. Barley flour is new to me, but I love barley tea so the flavor should be right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never used barley flour but it is a delicious grain and I think it must be grand in a scone... great recipe!

    ReplyDelete