Monday, October 18, 2010

Spicy Chicken Chili

This recipe is really easy to pull together either for a quick dinner or to portion out for lunches during the week (like I did).  It's fairly spicy, so feel free to eliminate the jalapeno or reduce the chili powder or chipotles if you like.  Or just serve it with lots of sour cream.  :)  I vaguely followed this recipe from Martha Stewart when making the chili, but I decided on ground chicken since ground meat says "chili" to me more than cubes of chicken and made various other substitutions based on what I had in the fridge/pantry. 



Spicy Chicken Chili
Serves 4

1 tsp olive oil
1/2 white onion, diced
1/2 bell pepper, diced
2 T chili powder
1 jalapeno, halved
1 pound ground chicken
2 chipotles in adobo, minced
2 cups canned diced tomatoes (and their juice)
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed

Heat the oil in a non-stick saucepan, and then add the onion and pepper.  Saute until softened, and then add the chili powder and jalapeno.  Saute for a minute or so, and then add the chicken.  Saute, stirring often to break up the meat, until it is cooked through.  Add the chipotles, tomatoes, and black beans.  Bring to a boil, and simmer for about 10 minutes (or longer).  Remove the jalapeno halves before serving.

6 comments:

  1. This looks like a great simple dinner I could cook for my bf. Chipotles are so great to have on hand for an instant flavor boost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My hubby loves a spicy chili so I know he'd love this one! I like how you used ground chicken...delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me, the spicier, the more delicious. I'd add more of that chipotles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the inspiration- I have a can of chilis in adobe that's been sitting my pantry for a solid year, and I just can't figure out what to do with it. I'm sure it would be easy enough to switch out the chicken for something like tempeh, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delicious Sara. I have some ground beef in my freezer, I think this recipe would work with that too perhaps?! :)

    ReplyDelete