Friday, January 21, 2011

FFwD and SHF: Michael Rostang's Double Chocolate Mousse Cake

This week's French Fridays with Dorie was a fantastic flourless chocolate mousse cake.  The process took a while because there were a couple of rounds of baking-and-chilling, but the hands on time for this recipe wasn't too bad and I was really happy with the results.  This definitely tasted more like mousse than like cake to me, which wasn't a bad thing.  Dorie offers a few variations on the recipe - after making the chocolate mousse, you bake a bit of it as a little crust, and then add the rest of the mousse and either chill, bake and serve warm, or bake and chill.  I took the final option since I was taking the mousse cake to a dinner at church and it seemed to be the most portable (plus, it didn't involve raw eggs, which I don't mind eating myself but I get a little nervous about when serving a big group).  The flavor was really good, although I'd have to say that I preferred the mousse pre-baked, straight out of the bowl, so if I make this recipe again I think I'll make the first option and just keep it all for myself and close friends.  :)  The only change I made to the recipe was to multiply the recipe by one-and-a-half and bake it in a 9-inch springform pan rather than an 8-inch pan...more mousse cake = a very good choice!


I'm also sending this cake off to Sugar High Friday #73: Grain Free.

11 comments:

  1. Good tip about making one and a half times the recipe for a 9-inch pan. I had to use a 9-inch because I couldn't find an 8-inch one after looking in several stores! I look forward to reading future posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the look of your cake. Which I have to say I personally thought it was just an ugly lil brown slab. Yours is quite cute. B:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cake looks great! Good idea about making 1.5x recipe. I'll have to try that next time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious. I might do the same but in individual cups. The small sized bites make my guests feel less guilty, but will also have everyone coming back for seconds :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The texture of that cake looks just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. yum, this looks and sounds delicious. I love that Dorie gives some many variations for the same recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks amazing!

    I am new to your blog today. I am actually working on a project for www.ekwipper.com and was wondering if you could participate by sharing a recipe? Can you e-mail me @ slim-shoppin@comcast.net and I'll give you the details.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful crust on top of your cake. I admit, I went the warm cake route, since I wasn't sure about the uncooked eggs (especially so many of them), but the pre-baked mousse was tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do believe that a flourless chocolate cake is amongst the most beautiful in all its fallen-formed glory...and certainly amongst the most decadent!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think mousse tastes better than cake, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your cake fell and cracked so beautifully. Lovely photo.

    ReplyDelete