Monday, September 10, 2012

Apricot-Meyer Lemon Cake with Olive Oil

As you can tell from this photo, this cake was somewhat of a failure.  I definitely did not leave it in the oven long enough, and the middle was severely underdone...that crater in the middle only got bigger as the cake cooled.  Oops!  I'm including this recipe anyway because the edible parts (the ends and edges) were totally delicious.  I would definitely make this again, but just leave the cake in the oven longer...this is definitely one to test in a few places before pulling it out.  Cook-time aside, the apricots and Meyer lemon went together perfectly, and using olive oil for the fat gave the cake something special.  This is also a great recipe since it will work with pretty much whatever you have in your kitchen - I'm much more likely to have oil, milk, and eggs around than I am yogurt, sour cream, buttermilk, etc.  I think the base would work well with a variety of add-ins if you don't have apricots and lemon on hand.


Apricot-Meyer Lemon Cake with Olive Oil (adapted from Cake Spy, original recipe here)
Makes one loaf cake

1-3/4 cups flour
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
Zest of 1 Meyer Lemon
Juice of 1 Meyer Lemon
1/2 cup skim milk
3 eggs
2/3 cup olive oil
2 extra large or 4 normal apricots, pitted and chopped

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a loaf pan.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  Set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, combine the sugar and lemon zest.  Rub together with your fingers until well combined.  Whisk in the lemon juice and milk, and then whisk in the eggs and oil.
4. Add the flour mixture to the bowl and whisk until smooth.  Scrape into the pan.
5. Sprinkle the apricots evenly over the top of the cake (it will look like a lot!)
6. Bake 40-50 minutes, until a tester comes out clean.  Cool before serving.

7 comments:

  1. Lemon and apricots in a cake? That sounds and looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had that happen to me before with pumpkin bread - the outsides were delicious but the inside was still raw!

    I've never had meyer lemons before - I'll have to look for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious, can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm visiting your blog for the first time, and glad to be here. I'm sorry your cake failed, but it still looks good. I had my share of failed cakes, sometimes one just can't help it! I will try your recipe the combination of flavors here is just too tempting. Good luck with your second attempt, I'm sure it will be great :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A definite must try. Even if you say it failed, it does still look good and I will still go ahead and try it. My son's school is having a gathering this week, and I'll bring one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope everyone enjoys it - definitely let me know how it turns out! I think the recipe would work out perfectly if it's cooked through, so definitely just test carefully! :)

      Delete