For this month's Secret Recipe Club, I was paired up with Veggie Grettie. Gretchen's blog is full of awesome-looking recipes, and they're all vegan and gluten free! I chose to make her recipe for crispy smashed potatoes. I've seen this sort of recipe on a few different blogs and it always looked really delicious, so this was the perfect excuse to give it a spin! I'm definitely a big fan - the potatoes come out of the oven with a perfectly crispy, salty exterior and a creamy interior. They make a great side dish, and you can easily change up the flavor by using different sorts of seasoning salt. I served these with Swedish meatballs and homemade egg noodles - recipe coming soon!
Crispy Smashed Potatoes (adapted from Veggie Grettie, original recipe here)
Small potatoes (such as fingerling or new potatoes)
Seasoning salt (I used this awesome Aleppo chile salt)
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with foil.
2. Toss the potatoes with a generous amount of oil and a good sprinkling of seasoning salt. Place in a single layer on the baking sheet. (If the potatoes don't fit in a single layer with a good amount of room between each potato, use two sheets - you're going to be smashing the potatoes later, so they need some space.)
3. Bake 20-30 minutes, shaking the baking sheet occasionally, until the potatoes are tender.
4. Use a heavy water glass or something similar to smash each potato until it is slightly flattened. Space out the potatoes evenly, and then drizzle with a bit more oil.
5. Bake another 15 minutes or so, until crispy.