Sunday, November 3, 2013

Secret Recipe Club: Chicken 'Fajitas' in the Slow Cooker

My partner for this month's Secret Recipe Club was Anna of bcmom's kitchen.  When I saw her recipe for chicken fajitas in the slow cooker, I knew I wanted to make it - I love using my slow cooker, and I hadn't made Mexican food in a while. As Anna points out in her post, these aren't really fajitas -- fajitas would be cooked quickly over hot heat, while this dish cooks low and slow in the Crockpot.  That said, this dish does have all the components of fajitas - chicken, peppers, and onions - and it tastes awesome all wrapped up in a tortilla!  It will look like you have way too many veggies and too little chicken, but don't worry - the veggies really melt down over the long cooking time, and I thought the balance at the end was perfect.  I do think you could get away with a shorter cooking time (maybe 4-6 hours on low), but 8 hours works as well -- I was worried the chicken was burned when I peeked in the Crockpot, but it was just fine.  This dish isn't very spicy, so if you like your Mexican food on the spicier side, be sure to add something spicy on top (we used pepper jack cheese) or add some chilies when you start the dish.  Yum!



Chicken 'Fajitas' in the Slow Cooker (adapted from Stacy Makes Cents, via bcmom's kitchen)
Serves at least 4

1 yellow onion, thickly sliced
3 bell peppers, thickly sliced
1 pound boneless chicken thighs
2 T cumin
1-1/2 T chili powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup chicken broth
Juice of 1 lime

1. Layer the ingredients in your crockpot.  Start with the peppers and onions, and then lay the chicken thighs on top in a single layer.  Sprinkle the cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, and salt over the chicken.  Finally, drizzle the chicken broth and lime juice over everything as evenly as possible.
2. Cook on low for 8 hours.
3. Shred or chop the chicken into bite-sized pieces.  Stir back into the crockpot.
4. Serve with tortillas and fixings (we used sour cream and pepper jack cheese).

8 comments:

  1. What a delicious looking recipe and so easy too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great recipe - love the thought of it wrapped up in a tortilla wrap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, we love this recipe because it's so easy and so flavorful. I would personally like a bit more heat, but my husband, and daughter when she's here, don't like spicy things. So, we compromise.

    Glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Slow cookers are awesome and this sounds like a great way to make fajitas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the perfect reminder to use my slow cooker more! What a tasty meal!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am always on the lookout for new and original slow cooker recipe, this one sounds like a winner. Will have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love my crockpot this time of year! what an easy way to make fajitas! if you want to check out my pumpkin graham muffins from SRC this month, that would be awesome since they didn't make the linky.

    ReplyDelete