Mint Chocolate Cupcakes (adapted from Martha Stewart's Cupcakes: 175 Inspired Ideas for Everyone's Favorite Treat)
Makes 15-18 cupcakes
1-1/2 cups all purpose flour
1-1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cups cocoa powder
1-1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup warm water
2 large eggs
3 T oil (I used extra light tasting olive oil, but vegetable or canola oil should work well)
1 tsp peppermint extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350 and line muffin tins with paper liners.
2. Whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
3. In a large glass measuring cup, combine the buttermilk, water, eggs, oil, and peppermint extract. Stir gently with a fork to break up the egg and mix the ingredients.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Beat with an electric mixer until very smooth and well mixed, scraping the sides and bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed.
5. Fill the muffin tins about 2/3 of the way full. Bake about 20 minutes, until a tester comes out clean.
And here's the amazing dinner Tim prepared -- pork chops with mustard-sage pan sauce, smashed potatoes, and salad.