Ginger Cake (adapted from King Arthur Flour)
2-1/4 cups white whole wheat flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1-1/2 tsp minced fresh ginger
1 stick butter, melted
3/4 cup dark corn syrup
1/4 cup water
1 large egg
1 cup buttermilk
Lemon curd, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8-inch square baking dish with baking spray, or butter and flour it.
2. Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and cloves. Toss in the fresh ginger, and whisk to combine.
3. Stir together the melted butter and the corn syrup. Pour into the flour mixture, and stir with a rubber spatula until mostly combined. Add the water, and stir to combine.
4. In a small bowl, stir together the egg and buttermilk. Whisk into the batter until everything is nicely combined.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake 30-40 minutes, until a tester comes out clean. Let cool, and then slice into 16 pieces. Serve with lemon curd.