Friday, July 11, 2014

Yogurt Chicken Kebobs with Zucchini

My track record with Cooking Light recipes is kind of fifty-fifty.  Sometimes they end up tasting too "healthy" to the point of not actually being super enjoyable, but other times the recipes are fantastic! Luckily this chicken skewer recipe is of the delicious variety.  The yogurt makes the chicken extra tender, and the spices add great flavor.  I wasn't as crazy about the zucchini -- I think next time I would also toss it with the yogurt sauce (there was plenty) to add more flavor, or perhaps use a different vegetable like cherry tomatoes or bell pepper.  In any case, the chicken was more than tasty enough to make up for slightly lackluster zucchini, and the recipe came together quickly on a weeknight.  Definitely a winner in my book!

Fair warning: microwaved leftovers were fine, but definitely not as tasty as on day 1.  If you're serving two, I would plan to just make a half recipe rather than planning on leftovers.


Yogurt Chicken Skewers with Zucchini (adapted from Cooking Light)
Serves 4

7 ounces 2% plain Greek yogurt
1 T olive oil
1 T lemon juice
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground coriander
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 pound chicken breast, cut into cubes
2 zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch rounds
Spray oil
Salt

1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.  Soak 5-6 wooden skewers in water.
2. Mix together the yogurt, olive oil, lemon juice, cumin, ginger, coriander, and garlic.  Add the chicken breast cubes, and stir well to combine.
3. Thread the chicken and zucchini onto the skewers, alternating pieces of meat and veggie.
4. Line a heavy baking sheet with foil, and spray with oil.  Arrange the skewers on the baking sheet in a single layer.  Sprinkle generously with salt.
5. Roast 10 minutes, flipping the chicken skewers halfway through.  Then turn on the broiler, and broil a few minutes on each side, until the chicken is charred in a few places.
6. Check a piece of chicken in the middle of a skewer to confirm it is cooked through, and then serve.

1 comment:

  1. Yep, if I know I am reheating something the next day, I undercook the chicken knowing I am going to reheat it, perfect every time! Looks delish!

    I remember seeing a recipe for a cake that had that sounded interesting, until I saw that it was 16 servings - and each slice was 300 calories!

    ReplyDelete