These tacos are a little more work than just opening a can of pinto beans, but it's very worth it and makes for a great weekend afternoon recipe. The beans are super flavorful and rich with no meat added. And, the tangy slaw complements the beans perfectly! Leftovers make amazing nachos (pictured at the bottom of this post).
Instant Pot Bean Tacos with Lime-Cilantro Slaw (adapted from the Bobby and Damaris Show)
2 cups dried pinto beans
2 T vegetable oil
1 small onion, finely diced
1 red bell pepper, finely diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp smoked paprika
1 dried guajillo chile
Salt and pepper
2 T flour
2 T butter
1 cup grated sharp Cheddar
1 cup fire-roasted tomatoes (drain liquid before measuring)
For the slaw:
1-1/2 cups shredded green cabbage
1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
Juice of 1 lime (about 1 1/2 tablespoons)
Salt and pepper
Sour cream, guacamole, and/or any other toppings you like
1. Cover the beans with cold water and soak overnight or cover with boiling water and soak for about an hour. Drain and set aside.
2. Set the Instant Pot to "Saute" and add the vegetable oil. Add the onion, pepper, and garlic and saute for a few minutes, until just softened. Add the cumin and paprika and saute for about 30 seconds. Add the beans, guajillo chili, and enough water to cover the beans (about 2 cups).
3. Place the lid on the Instant Pot and select the "Bean/Chili" option. Make sure the lid is sealed.
4. Once the Instant Pot beeps, combine the flour and butter in a small pot or skillet. Stir to create a paste and cook over medium-low heat until the mixture browns, around 3 minutes.
5. Release any remaining pressure, and remove the guajillo chili from the beans. Add the flour-butter mixture and stir to combine. Select the "Saute" function and bring the beans to a simmer. Add the cheese and tomatoes, and cook until the mixture thickens, stirring often (5-10 minutes). Season with salt and pepper.
6. Make the slaw. Combine the cabbage, cilantro, and lime in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Assemble the tacos -- on each tortilla, layer beans, slaw, and any toppings you like. Yum!