We have a major overabundance of cucumbers in our garden right now! We shared some with a friend, and she in turn shared this excellent recipe with us. "Smacked cucumber" sounds a little strange, but it is really delicious with wonderful flavor. Perhaps our cucumber was on the small side, since I had about twice as much sauce as I needed; I simply saved it and will make the recipe again this week. Makes for a fantastic side dish alongside stir fry.
Smacked Cucumber in Garlicky Sauce (adapted from Every Grain of Rice)
1/2 tsp salt
1-1/2 T vegetable oil
1 T minced garlic
1/2 tsp sugar
2 tsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp Chinkiang vinegar (or sub balsamic vinegar)
1/2 tsp chile garlic sauce
1. Lay the cucumber on a chopping board and smack a few times with the flat blade of a sharp knife or a rolling pin.
2. Cut lengthwise into four pieces, and scrape out seeds if there are lots of seeds. Cut the cucumber into diagonal slices.
3. Place the cucumber in a bowl with the salt, toss to combine, and set aside for 10 minutes.
4. Stir together all the other ingredients in a small bowl.
5. Drain the cucumbers. Add about half the sauce, and stir to combine. Taste and add more if you like, or save to make the recipe again later -- will depend on the size of your cucumber.
6. Serve immediately.