Sunday, November 4, 2007

Chocolate Chunkers

Yum, yum, yum. I made Dorie's Chocolate Chunkers for a student lunch at my church this morning and everyone was delighted with how tasty they were...the cookies are very intense but also very addictive. You can add whatever mix-in-y things you want...I deviated a bit from the recipe but it still turned out great...the trick is just adding lots of them. :) I went crazy in the bulk food area at Berkeley Bowl so I was able to get little bits of lots of things.

Also, check out this awesomer-than-usual photo, courtesy of my housemate Josh...he lent me his mini-tripod and gave me some tips on photographing, so hopefully this will help my photography skillz in the future, too! I know they're not up to the snuff of many food bloggers, but I'm working on it!

Chocolate Chunkers (From Baking from My Home to Yours)

1/3 c flour
1/4 c unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
3 T unsalted butter
6 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped
2 large eggs
2/3 c sugar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
Lots of mix-ins...I used a Green & Blacks vanilla white chocolate bar, some chopped up bittersweet chocolate, raisins, dried cranberries, roasted almonds, and toasted pecans.

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sift together flour, cocoa, salt, and baking powder.
2. Melt the butter and chocolate until smooth but not so hot the butter separates. Cool slightly.
3. Whisk together eggs and sugar until light and frothy. Whisk in the vanilla. Mix in the chocolate-butter mixture, and then the dry ingredients (at some point you'll have to switch to a rubber spatula). Mix in your mix-ins. :)
4. Drop onto baking sheets covered in tin foil or parchment paper and bake one sheet at a time for 10-12 minutes each. The tops will look mostly dry but the interior of the cookies will still be soft.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete