Saturday, July 24, 2010

Blueberry Yogurt Pancakes with Shagbark Hickory Syrup

My dad and I discovered shagbark hickory syrup at a local farmer's market, and had to get some to try at home.  It has a much more mild flavor than maple syrup, which I like because I often find maple syrup on pancakes to be too strong a flavor.  If you're a huge maple syrup fan, I think you'd likely find the flavor to be too subtle, but I liked it.  It paired well with these healthy yogurt pancakes with fresh blueberries.  The yogurt - we used homemade, non-fat yogurt - makes the pancakes super moist and fluffy, and using just a bit of whole wheat flour lends good flavor without making the pancakes overly dense.  The small recipe here is perfect for a small breakfast since this was just for my mom and me, but of course you can double it if the whole family is eating. 


Blueberry Yogurt Pancakes with Shagbark Hickory Syrup (adapted from Pancakes and Waffles)
Serves 2-3

1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 T sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup plain yogurt, more for serving
1/2 cup low fat milk
1 T unsalted butter, melted and cooled
Blueberries
Shagbark hickory syrup, to serve

1. Whisk together the flours, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a small bowl.  Put the egg, yogurt, milk, and melted butter in a second bowl, and beat until smooth.  Add the flour mixture, and fold in, being careful not to overmix.
2. Heat a skillet over medium heat and spray with oil.  Spoon the batter into the pan, and top each pancake with a few berries.  When bubbles appear on the surface, flip the pancakes, finish cooking, and then serve with shagbark hickory syrup and more plain yogurt.

6 comments:

  1. I'm a huge maple syrup fan but now you have me curious about Shagbark Hickory Syrup. More mild you say.... Time to do some research!
    Thx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your syrup sounds superb Sara.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You said you used non-fat home-made yogurt in these. Can you post how to make the yogurt? I'd love to know how to make non-fat yogurt at home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ freeflying_soul
    My mom is a pro at homemade yogurt, and we used some of hers. Although she has given me her recipe in the past, I have never been able to get it to work myself! I will copy her recipe below so you can give it a try and see if it works for you. :)

    3 cups water
    1 cup powdered milk
    1/2 cup plain non-fat yogurt
    1 tsp vanilla

    Blend in a blender, and then pour into yogurt maker. Heat according to yogurt maker instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Baking Powder mentioned in instructions but not in list of ingredients. How much do I use?

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Anon - Thanks for the catch, it should be 1 tsp!

    ReplyDelete