Monday, August 2, 2010

Black Bean-Corn Salad

I like this salad because it's super versatile.  It's great as a side salad, with lots of flavor to stand up as its own dish.  It also works as a dip/salsa - if you want to go this route, you could serve as is or add a couple more tomatoes.  Although we didn't use it this way, I think this recipe would also be great as a component of another dish - for example, a topper for chicken or stuffed in a quesadilla or taco with cheese.  Any way you serve it, this summer salad is quick to pull together and perfect for a hot day when you want to keep the stove off.


Black Bean-Corn Salad (adapted from Chili Cheese Fries, original recipe here)

1-1/2 cups cooked black beans
1 cup fresh corn, cut from the cob, steamed briefly if tough (may not be needed)
1 small onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 small tomatoes, coarsely chopped
2 mild (or one spicy) jalapeno chiles, minced
Juice of 1 lemon
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
A generous drizzle of olive oil

Mix everything together, taste, and adjust ingredients as needed.

9 comments:

  1. I love this salad but never made it! Looks simple...it's now on my list! - mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love green salad but I think I am in love with this Black Bean-Corn Salad. I want to try it so bad. I can't wait in that time come. I am sure that I will be in heaven if I taste it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is definitely the perfect salad to have on hand! I would love it stuffed in a burrito.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could see wrapping that salad in a warm tortilla and calling it a taco! GREG

    ReplyDelete
  5. I make one very simmilar but with the addition of avocado and lime juice instead of lemon...delish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a gorgeous salad! perfect for summertime!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum. Just reblogged this: http://bit.ly/9rWBgX

    ReplyDelete