Monday, June 20, 2011

Amazing Cheese Sandwich

My dad came up with this recipe out of some ingredients in the fridge, but I thought it was too good not to share!  After I tasted his sandwich, I had to make one of my own!  Although you might hesitate to pile lots of pickles on the sandwich, don't worry - these pickles are aren't super sour and won't overwhelm the other ingredients.  Depending on how many sandwiches you make, you'll probably have some pickles left over - don't worry, they keep in the fridge for quite a long time and they're great to snack on or add to lots of types of sandwiches.  The toasted bread is crucial here to provide some needed crunch.  Definitely eat this with lots of napkins, because the pickles make it more than a little messy to eat - but it's so worth it!  If you don't have Jarlsburg cheese, try something else - I also made a very tasty version with Ewephoria (my absolute favorite sheep cheese).


Amazing Cheese Sandwich

Italian bread
Grainy mustard
Jarsburg cheese, thinly sliced
Easy pickled cucumbers and onions, recipe below

Toast the bread, spread on the mustard, add a few thin slices of cheese, and then pile on the pickles!

Easy Pickled Cucumbers and Onions (adapted from babble)

1 medium cucumber, thinly sliced
1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
1 cup red or white wine vinegar
1 T granulated sugar
3/4 tsp kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper

Combine all of the ingredients and stir well.  Refrigerate for at least one day, stirring occasionally.  Although the liquid won't completely cover the cukes and onions at first, they'll eventually soften and take up less space.  Pickles will keep in the fridge for a couple of weeks, and are fantastic on sandwiches, salads, with pita and hummus, or just to munch on.

I'm sending this sandwich off to These Chicks Cooked!

5 comments:

  1. Now, I like the idea of including pickled cucumbers. It sounds like a great twist! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I visit a restaurant that serves pickled cucumbers as an appetizer. I could make a meal out of them. Thank you for jogging my memory and the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great, so many fun flavors. I'm always looking for ways to eat grilled cheese sandwiches, they are delish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! Cucumbers and onions in a grilled cheese sounds like a great combo. I'll have to try it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It must be delicious!


    The apple of my eye.

    ReplyDelete