Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Pear and Goat Cheese Sandwiches

I can't really claim any credit for these sandwiches since my dad found the recipe and all I did was slice the bread.  However, I had to share it with you since it was so delicious!  These sandwiches are so easy to make, but they taste very gourmet...there's not even any cooking involved; you just slice up the ingredients and pile them onto toast!  The combination of creamy goat cheese, sweet ripe pears, and a little acid from the vinegar in the dressing is so tempting, and the walnuts add excellent crunch to the sandwich.  This makes the perfect lunch or dinner for a hot summer day when you don't want to heat up the kitchen.  


Pear and Goat Cheese Sandwiches (adapted from the Nourish Network, original recipe here)
Note: I've left off amounts here so you can adjust for any number of sandwiches and the ratio of ingredients you prefer - you really can't go wrong here!  If you'd like more specific measurements, feel free to click through to the original recipe.

Olive oil
Balsamic vinegar
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Red Boston lettuce, coarsely chopped
Soft goat cheese
Multigrain bread, toasted
Thinly sliced red onion, optional
Thinly sliced ripe pear
Chopped walnuts

1. Whisk together two parts oil to one part vinegar in a small bowl (approximately 1 tsp oil and 1/2 tsp vinegar per sandwich).  Season to taste with salt and pepper.  Add lettuce and toss to combine.
2. Spread some goat cheese on toast.  Top with onion, pear, and a sprinkling of walnuts, and then top with another slice of toast.

I'm sending this post off to These Chicks Cooked!

7 comments:

  1. YUM! this sandwich looks delicious! Thanks so much for your comment on my blog! I am loving your blog and all the neat recipes! I Love making new blog friends. I am your newest follower and would love it if you would follow me too! Thanks!
    -Nikki
    http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sara! I'm loving your description of this sandwich. Wish I could sample it right now, ah!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes...talking about heating up the kitchen in the heat now. I am trying to avoid that as well.
    And I thought I was the only one who enjoy fruits in my sandwich. ;p

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently had afternoon tea at the Washington Duke Inn in Durham, North Carolina and one of the tea sandwiches was a version of this recipe. Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! Those sandwiches are making me hungry. Thanks for coming by to share! Have a great weekend.
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sandwich sounds wonderful. Will be making it soon I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete