Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Lemon Bliss Bundt Cake

Happy National Bundt Day!  The Food Librarian has done a really fun baking project the last few years: I Like Big Bundts! It's a bundt-baking extravaganza, and this year I decided to get involved. I made a super lemony bundt from the Food Librarian's archives, and it was super delicious. The cake itself is moist with a tight crumb - it came out of my somewhat finicky pan easily, which is always a gamble! After the cake comes out of the oven, a tart lemon-sugar glaze is poured over the whole thing, which makes the cake extra moist and adds a lot of great lemon flavor (this was my favorite part of the cake).  My roommates and I loved the cake and devoured it in less than 24 hours...so yes, it was definitely a hit! 


Meyer Lemon Bliss Bundt Cake (adapted from the Food Librarian, original recipe here)

For the cake
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup milk (non-fat is ok)
Zest of 3 Meyer lemons (a microplane works well)

For the glaze
1/3 cup freshly squeezed Meyer lemon juice (about 3 lemons)
3/4 cup sugar

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a 12-cup Bundt pan.
2. Cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy.  Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
4. Add the dry ingredients and milk in alternating additions (flour-milk-flour-milk-flour), beating well after each.  Beat in the lemon zest.
5. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth it out.  Bake 55-65 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean.
6. While the cake is baking, make the glaze.  Stir together the lemon juice and sugar and set aside.
7. As soon as the cake comes out of the oven, poke holes all over with a wooden skewer.  Brush the glaze all over with a pastry brush until it has all been used (it will seem like more than the cake can absorb, but just keep going).
8. Let cake cool completely and then remove from pan.

8 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! I love the golden brown crust.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great recipe ! I made it! It`s delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Nicole - Awesome, glad you liked the recipe! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool, lemon cake! I love baking with lemons, and have been looking for something simple, but delicious, thanks for sharing. I'll save this recipe for later

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just popped over to say 'hi' on your blog, and can't believe that I've just this second taken a lemon bundt out of my oven, and you have one on the front page too. Amazed! Looks lovely - and very seasonal, if it's true that November really is lemon time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We made the same bundt for the holiday! I agree that it's fabulous and you need to put all the glaze on... that was something I skimped a bit and shouldn't have. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely looks like lemon bliss. I love lemon cake and will have to try this recipe out at a later date. Thanks for stopping by. You have a great blog here!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So jealous! I don't make much with lemon or any citrus as my hubby has a horrible reaction to it and I can't eat a whole cake to myself! Well, I could but it would not be good for my waist line! ;0)

    ReplyDelete