Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Chai-Spiced Apple Crumble

I'm a huge fan of apple desserts with crispy, crumbly toppings - it's such a comfort food!  I was really happy to find this recipe from Buttered Up, because it takes a classic apple crumble and seriously spices it up.  This dessert is full of the spices you'd find in Chai, including what is probably my favorite spice, cardamom.  The topping also includes oats for a great chewy texture.  It's scattered over apples that are simply sweetened and flavored with a little vanilla.  I found the apple portion to be a bit on the sweet side, but I think the sugar is necessary to make a 'sauce' on the apples, so I wouldn't cut it back too much.  Overall, this is a great recipe, and I can definitely tell it's a winner since I've made it twice in the past month!



Chai-Spiced Apple Crumble (adapted from Buttered Up, original recipe here)
Serves 4

4-5 apples, peeled and cut into chunks
2/3 cup sugar, divided
1 heaping T cornstarch
3/4 tsp vanilla
1 cup old fashioned oats
1/2 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp cardamom
1/4 tsp cloves
1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature

1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and spray a 2-quart baking dish with oil.
2. Stir together the apples 1/3 cup of the sugar, the cornstarch, and the vanilla. Place in the baking dish.
3. Stir together the oats, flour, salt, spices, and remaining 1/3 cup sugar.  Cut in the butter, and then blend in with your fingers until the dough comes together in small clumps.  Scatter over the apples.
4. Bake until browned and bubbling, 20-25 minutes.  Let cool slightly before serving.

6 comments:

  1. what a great combination; apples and chai spices are two of my favorites, and i bet they would pair perfectly together! love this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that is a dessert-worthy crumble!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also love desserts like this - sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You totally cannot go wrong with chai and apples together. This sounds so good--and easy too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The chai flavors are such a fun twist to this apple crumble! I love those spices. Bet this tastes like a big hug.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Apple crumble is probably my favorite dessert - love this spiced up version Sara!

    ReplyDelete