These lentil galettes make a perfect light lunch. My Mom and I made them in early January, and everyone was a big fan...although the pastry is buttery, overall this still feels like a fairly healthy dish. I love the creaminess of the Greek yogurt sauce alongside soft onions, earthy lentils, and baby spinach. Such a great combination! Definitely seek out small French lentils, as they will hold their shape and won't become mushy. The puff pastry shells make this dish feel extra fancy (and a little indulgent!), but you could easily serve the salad sans-pastry, perhaps alongside a bowl of soup instead.
1 cup Puy (French green) lentils
1 bay leaf
Oil, for the pan
1 medium onion, minced
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
2 garlic cloves, minced
1-1/4 cups plain Greek yogurt
2 cups baby spinach leaves
3 T chopped fresh cilantro
3 T chopped fresh mint
Juice of 1 lemon
1/4 cup olive oil
Salt and pepper
1 package puff pastry shells (containing 6 puff pastry shells)
1 egg, beaten
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the lentils and bay leaf and cook 20-30 minutes, until the lentils are tender. Drain and place in a medium bowl. Remove the bay leaf.
2. In a non-stick skillet over medium heat, heat enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan. When the oil is hot, add the onions and cook until browned and soft, about 15 minutes, stirring every couple of minutes. Add the cumin, coriander, and garlic and cook for two more minutes, stirring often. Add to the bowl with the lentils, mix to combine, and set aside to let cool to room temperature (a little warmer is fine too).
3. Add the yogurt, spinach, herbs, and lemon juice to the bowl with the lentils and stir to combine. Drizzle in 1/4 cup olive oil and stir to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Preheat the oven according to the package directions for your puff pastry. Place the puff pastry shells on a baking sheet and brush with the egg wash. Cook according to package directions, until golden brown.
5. Cut a circle in the top of each pastry shell and remove the top. Scoop out the insides carefully. Fill with a heaping scoop of lentils, and then top with the circle of reserved puff pastry. Repeat with the remaining pastry shells.