Sunday, October 19, 2014

Queens Park Cocktail

This cocktail is really, really delicious despite being a serious bastardization of the original.  First of all, it's meant to be a swizzle: i.e. lots of crushed ice, which I didn't have on hand. It's also supposed to use both a special sort of rum and a special sort of simple syrup, but I was in no mood to go shopping.  What I had was Bacardi Gold and simple syrup from the grocery store.  The cocktail gods are probably rolling over in their graves, but I gotta tell you -- my version was extremely tasty!  Sweet, minty, and super drinkable...pretty much the perfect after-dinner drink in place of dessert.  I am limiting myself to one a day until the mint runs out, because it's a fairly strong drink (at least for little lightweight me).  Please do click through to the original if you'd like to try the real deal...I'm sure it is even more delicious!


Queens Park Cocktail (adapted from Erik Lombardo on Food52, original recipe here)

12 mint leaves, divided
1/4 cup Puetro Rican gold rum
1-1/2 T simple syrup (use less if you like a less sweet cocktail)
1-1/2 T lime juice
Ice
Bitters (I used Amaro bitters, but use any that you like)

1. Place 6 mint leaves in a cocktail shaker and muddle.  Place the other 6 mint leaves in the bottom of your glass and muddle.  (The handle of a wooden spoon works very well for this if you don't have an official "muddler.")
2. Add the rum, simple syrup, and lime juice to the cocktail shaker along with a couple of cubes of ice.  Cover, and shake well until very cold.
3. Place another couple of ice cubes in your glass on top of the mint.  Strain the cocktail over the ice.  Top with a few shakes of bitters and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment