Once your onions are perfectly browned and sweet, you're ready for more toppings, the rest of them very simple. Mayo spiked with BBQ sauce and Dijon mustard (yes, please!), a super quick guacamole made of mashed avocados, fresh cilantro, and lime juice, and super creamy goat cheese. Once these are all piled on a potato roll, they make turkey burgers seriously exciting! Although the list of ingredients looks long, these burgers actually come together very quickly as long as you make the onions ahead of time.
Loaded Turkey Burgers with Caramelized Onions, Goat Cheese, and Guacamole (adapted from How Sweet It Is, original recipe here)
For the BBQ mayo
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1-1/2 T BBQ sauce
1 tsp Dijon mustard
For the burgers
1 pound ground turkey
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
For the guacamole
2 avocados, mashed
2 T minched cilantro
Salt and pepper
Juice of 1 lime
One batch caramelized onions in the slow cooker
Goat cheese, crumbled
1. Mis up the BBQ mayo -- stir together all the ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
2. Make the burgers. Mix together the turkey, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Divide into 4 patties.
3. Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add a drizzle of oil and let it get hot. Add the turkey patties and cook until nicely browned on both sides and cooked through.
4. While the burgers are cooking, make the guacamole. Stir together all the ingredients and set aside.
5. Assemble the burgers. Toast the rolls, and then slather on a generous spoonful of the BBQ mayo. Add a turkey burger, and then top with caramelized onions, crumbled goat cheese, and guacamole. Pop on the top bun, squish a little, and enjoy!