One thing I really like about the Starbucks app is that they'll often run promotions that allow you to download free apps. Recently, the My New Roots app popped up in their free app area, and since I love that blog, I decided to check out the app. So pretty! I decided to try the recipe for flavor bomb greens and noodles, and it was a big hit. The dressing/sauce has so many great flavors, including sesame oil, fresh ginger, lime juice, and honey. It sounds like a lot of ingredients, but the sauce is very well balanced and so yummy. The bulk of the dish comes in the form of greens and noodles. We did kale and soba noodles, with about a 2:1 kale-noodle ratio. But, you could easily sub in chard or spinach and other Asian-style noodles, and could tilt the ratio more in the favor of the noodle side of things if you prefer. Finally, finishing touches of toasted coconut, sesame seeds, and cashews take things over the top! Delicious and super healthy -- this recipe is definitely a win-win. Bonus: leftovers are fantastic for lunch the next day.
Flavor Bomb Soba and Kale Bowls (adapted from the My New Roots app)
Serves 2 hungry people with a little left over
For the sauce:
2 T soy sauce
2 T sesame oil
1 T grated fresh ginger
2 tsp honey
2 tsp rice vinegar
Zest and juice of 1 lime
1 garlic clove, minced
2 green onions, thinly sliced
1 tsp Aleppo chile flakes (or to taste)
For the bowls:
4 ounces soba noodles
1 large bunch of kale
1/4 cup unsweetened coconut
3 T sesame seeds
A handful each of fresh mint and fresh cilantro
Roasted and salted cashews, to serve
1. Combine all the sauce ingredients in a serving bowl and whisk to combine.
2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook the noodles according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water.
3. Stem the kale and slice it very thinly. Add to the bowl with the sauce and massage a few minutes, until the kale wilts a bit.
4. Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add the coconut and sesame seeds and toast for a few minutes, shaking occasionally, until just browned and very fragrant.
5. Add the noodles, coconut-sesame seed mixture, and fresh herbs to the bowl with the kale. Toss well to combine everything.
6. Top each portion with roasted cashews.