Thursday, May 28, 2009

Artos: Greek Celebration Bread

Week 2 of the BBA Challenge brings Greek Celebration bread, an enriched bread with fruits and nuts. The original recipe added a bunch of spices, but I left them out since I'm not a huge fan of spiced breads (unless, of course, it's cinnamon raisin!). Instead, I added lemon zest (from 1 Meyer lemon--next time I'd add more), 2 ounces ground almonds, chopped dried pluots (a delicious gift from my Aunt Jane), and chopped whole almonds.

Overall, the bread was tasty but not my favorite style of bread. It definitely made a huge loaf, so I gave some away to friends. My favorite way to eat the bread was spread with Fromager d'Affinois, a soft French cheese similar to Brie, but with a more interesting flavor (in my opinion). It was also tasty with strawberry jam.

9 comments:

  1. This Greek bread sounds so delicious. I like it you add lemon zest in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't think I would be a fan of spiced bread but I have to say it was great. Yours look terrific.
    Hope you enjoy making the bagels. :)
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bread looks great! I love lemon zest in it, it always add an special plavor to it. The pictures are very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your bread looks really good! I'm totally behind and will be catching up this weekend. I love how you shaped it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thia bread looks so great and fresh!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your loaf looks wonderful. I love the picture of the slices slathered with butter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking at this makes me want to make it again...I made bread pudding out of it at my catering...big hit! Happy Baking...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, this looks so wonderful and that spread sounds very inspired and great. I really like the combination of flavors you choose, esp. for someone who doesn't like things over-spiced. Lots of possibilities for playing around with this recipe...yours sound great!

    ReplyDelete