Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Roasted Broccoli and Chickpea Salad with Honey Walnuts

I just got back to Berkeley from visiting my parents in Ohio this past Sunday, so I'll be featuring some Ohio recipes that I made with my mom over the next few posts (and a few have already been popping up, as you may have noticed!) I always love cooking with my mom in the kitchen, so these recipes are always special! One even features an ingredient that's impossible to find in Berkeley: sour cherries!

This salad is an excellent combination of sweet and salty with lots of textures and flavors going on. I love roasted vegetables, so the roasted broccoli here is one of my favorite components. Its nutty flavor goes well with the sauteed chickpeas. The honeyed walnuts add a unique and satisfying sweet twist to the salad, and the feta cheese is salty and delicious. The salad dressing here is also a real winner, and one I will definitely be using over and over again in various salad recipes. You could switch out the balsamic for another vinegar as well. The salad was topped off with salad from my mom's garden.

Roasted Broccoli and Chickpea Salad with Honey Walnuts (adapted from Martha Stewart Living Magazine)
Serves 4

For the broccoli
2 small heads of broccoli, trimmed and cut into florets
3 T olive oil
Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper

For the chickpeas
2 T olive oil
1 shallot, thinly sliced
1 can (15 ouncea) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
Coarse salt
1 tsp balsamic vinegar

For the vinaigrette
2 T Dijon mustard
4 tsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp honey
1/2 tsp coarse salt
A few grinds black pepper
1/4 cup olive oil

For the honey walnuts
3 T honey
4 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 1/2 lemon)
1 cup walnuts
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 tsp coarse salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper

To assemble the salad
A few handfuls salad greens (we used greens from my mom's garden, but Romaine or baby lettuce would be good too)
A handful feta cheese, crumbled

1. Make the broccoli: Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Toss the broccoli with oil, and season with salt and pepper. Spread onto a rimmed baking sheet and roast until tender, about 15 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, make the chickpeas: Heat the oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook, stirring until tender and translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in the chickpeas, and season with salt. Cook for a minute, stirring, and then add the vinegar. Cook until the liquid is evaporated, about 5 minutes.
3. Make the vinaigrette: Place all ingredients in a jar with a tight lid, screw on the lid, and shake until well combined.
4. When the broccoli is done, make the honey walnuts: Turn the oven down to 400 degrees. Stir together the honey and lemon juice in a small bowl, and then add the walnuts, garlic, salt, and pepper. Spread on a rimmed baking sheet, and roast for about 10 minutes, until golden brown. Stir occasionally while the nuts are roasting. Let cool, and then coarsely chop.
5. Assemble the salad. Toss together the broccoli, chickpeas, walnuts, and salad greens in a salad bowl. Add dressing and toss. Top with feta cheese.

6 comments:

  1. I am bookmarking this baby! So yummy sounding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic salad Sara. Your honey walnut sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great salad...love the honey walnut, since I never made at home, I'll definitely try your recipe...yummie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love salads with a sweet and salty element like this... can't wait to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made this a few weeks back, substituting cauliflower for the broccoli, and I skipped the goat cheese puree too. I couldn't quite understand that part--I just crumbled some on top.

    Try it with cauliflower--it's delicious!

    ReplyDelete