Monday, September 12, 2011

Summer Salad with Cucumber, Cantaloupe, and Tomatoes

It's time for another month's edition of the Secret Recipe Club! This month my secret partner was Itzy's Kitchen.  I fell in love with her recipe for Lighter Panzanella Salad - it seemed like the perfect way to enjoy summer produce.  The combination of tomatoes, cucumbers, and cantaloupe is amazing - some sweetness, some crunch, and lots of flavor.  Along with crispy croutons, salty cheese, and acid from the vinegar, this salad has perfect balance!  I used a favorite cheese of mine, Bulgarian feta - it's a little wetter and creamier than normal feta - but any creamy cheese would be fantastic in this salad.  I'm soaking up all the summer flavors I can before fall arrives for real, and this salad was the perfect way to do it - thanks Erica!


Summer Salad with Cucumber, Cantaloupe, and Tomatoes (adapted from Itzy's Kitchen, original recipe here)
Serves 1

1 medium tomato, cored and cubed
1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded, and cubed
1/3 cup cubed cantaloupe
1 handful croutons
Olive oil
Balsamic vinegar
Crumbled Bulgarian feta cheese (or another feta)

Toss together the tomato, cucumber, cantaloupe, and croutons.  Drizzle with oil and vinegar and toss again.  Let sit about 5 minutes for the flavors to combine, and then top with crumbled feta cheese.

24 comments:

  1. This is right up my alley- lovely choice for this month's SRC!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! Im a fan of anything involving cantaloupe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great! i actually just tried panzanella for the first time not too long ago, and i'm hooked! This version sounds super refreshing =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious, and the mercury is rising agin this week, so salad is back on the main course!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great combo of foods. I never thought to mix tomato, cucumber and cantaloupe. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a colorful salad. Perfect with the great summer veggies right now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds very interesting-- I had done a post about eating more vegetables by combining them with fruit not too long ago and received a number of suggestions for good combos, but this is the first cantaloupe recipe I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks delicious! I love the addition of cantaloupe. It's not something you expect in a salad like this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So colorful! A perfect recipe for the end of summer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a great combo of flavors and one day I'll have to give Bulgarian Feta a try.

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  11. The cantaloupe is a very cool, unexpected touch - I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loving this salad! I think the feta is what really brings me in...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love salads that combine sweet and savory, and this one is no exception. It looks delicious and beautiful. So nice to run into your blog in the SRC - always good to see a familiar face among the new discoveries.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely salad, I've never tried cantaloupe in a salad before, I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mmm, I'd love a salad like this! Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks absolutely delightful! I love the addition of cantaloupe. Can't wait to try this. Fantastic choice for the SRC.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great salad! I love the idea of combining cantalope with cucumbers and tomatoes. Will give that a try. Thanks for the inspiration :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such an unusual combination of flavors, but it sounds amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Sara, nice to meet you! My first month in SRC and love visiting everyone's selections.

    YOu are right, this is a good way to soak up all summer before it ends!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That sounds so delicious. I'm not ready to give up on summer just yet!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yum! I love the addition of cantaloupe in the salad. Great SRC pick!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is really interesting. I would never think of combining cantaloupe with the tomatoes and cukes but I'm thinking it would be yummy - especially with that salty feta cheese mixed in!

    ReplyDelete
  23. what a mix! sounds great and looks so appetising in your picture. I may have to veganize this! x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Interesting combo for salad. Very colorful!!

    ReplyDelete