Chicken with Pecan-Cider Gravy (adapted from Edesia's Notebook, original recipe here)Serves 3-4
3/4 cup chopped pecans
1 T olive oil
About 1 pound chicken breast cutlets
Salt and pepper
1 T butter
2 T flour
1/2 cup apple cider
1 cup chicken stock
1 dried bay leaf
1. Heat a large, non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Add the pecans and toast until fragrant. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
2. In the same skillet, heat the olive oil until shimmering. Add the chicken, season with salt and pepper, and cook until nicely browned and cooked through -- mine needed just a few minutes on each side, but go by how thick your chicken cutlets are (mine were quite thin). You may need to work in batches depending on the size of your chicken.
3. When the chicken is cooked through, remove to a plate and cover with foil. Set aside.
4. In the same skillet, melt the butter, Whisk in the flour, and cook for a minute. Slowly whisk in the cider, followed by the chicken stock. Add the bay leaf.
5. Bring the gravy to a boil, and then reduce the heat and simmer until thickened (8-10 mintues or so). Season with salt and pepper to taste. Fish out the bay leaf and discard.
6. When the gravy has thickened to your liking, stir in the reserved pecans. Serve over the chicken cutlets.
Great choice, Sara! Glad you enjoyed it!ReplyDelete
I would love to try the pecan-cider gravy!ReplyDelete
I never would have thought to use apple cider and pecans with chicken, but this looks really good.ReplyDelete
What an unusual combination - pecans and apple cider. I never would have tried it but this sounds great!ReplyDelete
nice job! what a great fancy dinner...but it seems easy so win win!ReplyDelete
This gives me a serious case of the cravings. I think I may have to do something similar for my blog. GREGReplyDelete
Hi Sara, great low carb dish! How about adding it to the Food on Friday: Low Carb collection over at Carole's Chatter? CheersReplyDelete
Sara, so glad you stopped by to add to the collection. If you would like me to send you a reminder about each new Food on Friday, just drop me a line on firstname.lastname@example.org . Cheers from Carole's ChatterReplyDelete