1-1/4 cups coconut milk, divided
3 T minced lemongrass (I buy it in a tube, because I'm a cheater!)
2 T sambal oelek
6 bone in-skin on chicken thighs
1 cup chicken stock or water
6 garlic cloves, crushed
1 large onion, peeled and quartered
2 carrots, scrubbed and each cut into 4 pieces
2-inch piece of fresh ginger, scrubbed and thinly sliced
2 T low-sodium soy sauce
1-1/2 T fish sauce
1 T fresh lime juice
1/2 tsp granulated sugar
8 ounces wide rice noodles or other Asian-style noodles, prepared according to package directions
Thinly sliced cucumber
Minced fresh cilantro
1. Combine 3/4 cup of the coconut milk, the lemongrass, and the sambal oelek in a large Ziplock bag. Add the chicken, seal well, and turn to coat the chicken in the sauce. Place in the fridge for at least 8 and up to 24 hours to marinate.
2. Place the chicken stock or water, garlic, onion, carrots, and ginger in the Instant Pot. Arrange the chicken in a single layer on top of the veggies, and pour any additional marinade on top. Seal the Instant Pot, and hit the "Poultry" button. Quick release the pressure. (No pressure cooker? Cook in a slow cooker on low for 7-1/2 hours.)
3. Remove the chicken and shred into bite sized pieces, discarding the skin and bones.
4. Strain the cooking liquid through a fine-mesh strainer. Skim off as much fat as possible, and then add to a small saucepan with the remaining 1/2 cup coconut milk, along with the soy sauce, fish sauce, lime juice, and sugar. Simmer, stirring until the sugar dissolves.
5. Assemble the bowls: add a scoop of broth, along with noodles, shredded chicken, cucumber, cilantro, and peanuts.