Friday, February 29, 2008

DB February Challenge: Julia Child's French Bread

Wow, this was an intimidating month for the Daring Bakers Challenge! When I first read the recipe--over 10 pages!--I sort of panicked. Yeast! And over 7 hours from start to finish! And lots of details to keep track of!

Then, I took a deep breath and thought, well, there are only four ingredients, how bad can it be? Julia's bread recipe includes only flour, water, yeast, and salt; it's what you do with them that makes it pretty amazing. Although the recipe has lots of complicated-seeming instructions on shaping, using a canvas (?) and some other stuff I wasn't sure about, I just sort of forged ahead and did what I could...although I didn't have the perfect kitchen setup, I think everything went very well. Maybe next time I will try misting the bread in the oven or using a baking stone. Or even just some parchment paper to bake it on. ;) Even without the fancy stuff, I was very happy with how things turned out.

I made the rolls option so that I could sneak one right out of the oven before they cooled--after all, to me the whole point of making bread at home is that you get it warm! The recipe says they're best cooled, but I have to say I liked them even better just out of the oven! I sliced a roll in half, stuffed some dark chocolate in there...heaven! I also enjoyed them toasted with butter and jam...equally heavenly!

The best part of this recipe was that it totally got me over my fear of yeast! After an eight-hour process of rising, punching down, shaping, etc., I'm no longer so intimidated by recipes with just one 1-1/2 hour rise! That's part of the reason for so few posts lately--I've been baking bread and I didn't want to put it up before this post...but never fear, I'll get my latest bread-baking efforts up soon. Yay for yeast!


Make sure to check out the rest of the bread here. And the recipe is here.

12 comments:

  1. The bread looks really wonderful. Doesn't it feel great, working through the unknown? Kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your rolls look great! And I'm glad your not scared of yeast anymore. Me either!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your rolls turned out beautifully! Great job and I am glad you got over your fear of yeast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea for yeast and yea for YOU! Glad you got over your fear of yeast.

    Your bread looks lovely.

    Thanks for baking with Sara and I

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree that the great thing about baking at home is getting to eat bread while it's still warm. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you conquered your fear of yeast! Congratulations on some adorable french rolls!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'm glad you finally conquered your fear of yeast! i know what a great feeling that is :) good job w/the challenge

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmm... bread and chocolate. Nice job on this challenge! No fear is a good motto for baking.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's so good that it got you over your yeast fear. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those rolls look scrumptious! I want one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on conquering your yeast-anxiety and on the adorable rolls!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your rolls look so cute and tasty. Yeah waiting the two hours was the hardest for me, but I'm sure those rolls tasted so good warm with chocolate. Tasty!!!

    ReplyDelete