Friday, June 5, 2009

Berry-Peach Cornmeal Muffins

Coconut & Lime is holding a 5 year blogiversary contest--wow, 5 years! Very cool, and even more so because this is one of my favorite blogs. To enter, you just need to make a recipe from her blog and post it to yours! I chose her blackberry-cornmeal cake because we had some berries in the fridge that really needed to be eaten. I didn't end up having quite enough blackberries, so I added some raspberries and a diced peach. I also baked the cake in muffin cups, just 'cause. :)

These fruity muffins were really delicious! I love cornmeal in muffins because it adds such a nice sweetness and texture. The muffins are on the sweet side (since the recipe was originally a cake), but still appropriate for breakfast (in my sweet tooth opinion). They're excellent plain, but also spread with a tangy fruit curd.

Berry-Peach Cornmeal Muffins (adapted from Coconut & Lime, original recipe here)
Makes 12

1 cup flour, plus more for berries
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup cornmeal
2 tsp baking powder
2 eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk
5 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
8 oz mixed fruits (I used blackberries, raspberries, and a peeled, diced peach)

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and grease a muffin tin.
2. Whisk together the flour, sugar, cornmeal, and baking powder in a large bowl. Whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, and butter in a small bowl, and then very gently fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, mixing no more than necessary to combine.
3. Toss the fruits with flour to coat them lightly. Gently fold them into the batter, and then divide it among the muffin cups.
4. Bake the muffins until a tester comes out clean, about 20 minutes.

5 comments:

  1. This muffin sounds irresistible Sara. I love the berries for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yum! I've never had a muffin with both cornmeal and peach, but it sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yumm, I am all for anything cornmeal. And thanks for the heads up on the contest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look great, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All I had were frozen blueberries but even so they're amazing and were so easy!! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete