Monday, June 29, 2009

Ricotta Pasta with Snap Peas and Caramelized Onions

This pasta recipe from Bon Appetit was easy to make but a bit bland. I guess I might have guessed that since it was in the "cook for your kids" section, but I didn't really think about it beforehand. The sweet sugar snap peas were certainly delicious, though, but the dish just needed a bit more "ooomph." If I make this again, I think I would add some diced and sauteed pancetta to add some needed salty and savory flavors.

Ricotta Pasta with Snap Peas and Caramelized Onions (adapted from Bon Appetit)

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 cups (packed) chopped onions
8 ounces sugar snap peas, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
12 ounces dried pasta
1/2 cup whole-milk fresh ricotta cheese
1/4 cup torn fresh basil leaves
1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
Juice of 1 lemon
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

1. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions. Saute until onions are pale golden, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and saute onions until tender and deep golden, about 15 minutes longer. Add peas to onions in skillet. Saute until peas are crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Remove skillet from heat.

2. Meanwhile, cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to bite. Drain pasta, reserving 1 cup cooking liquid.

3. Add pasta and 1/2 cup cooking liquid to onion mixture; stir over medium-high heat 30 seconds. Mix in ricotta, basil, and lemon peel, adding more cooking liquid to moisten as needed. Season with lemon juice, salt, and pepper.

6 comments:

  1. this sounds like my kind of recipe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carmelized onions are such a nice addition! I really should make them more often! Great looking dish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks very yummy, but I might have replaced the ricotta with feta! But pancetta sounds super delicious, too. I love simple pasta meals. But why would they think that if it is for kids it has to be bland?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great vegetarian dish...love ricotta and all the ingredients that you have in it. Yummie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks like a really easy dish to make.

    I'll have to try it!

    Thanks for posting the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just happened to have some left over Ricotta in the fridge. Now I know what to do with it!

    ReplyDelete