Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Brussels Sprout-Bacon Quiche

I love Brussels sprouts with bacon, and they complement one another perfectly in this quiche. I baked this in normal 10-inch pie plate and a smaller 8-inch springform pan because I was making a smaller portion without bacon for a veggie housemate, but you could probably also use a 10-inch springform or quiche pan with tall sides if you want to make the whole recipe in one pan; the cooking time will just be longer. If you'd like to make just one regular pie-plate sized quiche, you will probably want to reduce the amounts a little bit. I find quiche to be fairly forgiving, so go for it!

I used my food processor to shred the Brussels sprouts, which definitely sped things up. I would recommend using the slicing function on yours if you have one to save time. You can also use it to grate the cheese with just a rinse in between since everything is going in the same dish.

By the way, I defend my dissertation proposal this afternoon, so wish me luck! It's a tradition in our department to provide our committee with snacks for the defense, so I bought some cheeses at local cheese shop Cheeseboard, crackers, cornichons, and chocolate. (I considered baking something, but got too stressed out about that and went the purchasing route!)

Brussels Sprout-Bacon Quiche

1 pie crust (I used this one), partially baked in the pan(s) of your choice
1 medium shallot, diced
1 T olive oil
A few generous handfuls of Brussels sprouts, thinly sliced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 thick slices bacon, cut into small squares
6 1/2 ounces Fontina cheese, grated
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup milk
4 eggs

1. Saute the shallot in the olive oil until softened over medium high heat. Add the Brussels sprouts and saute until just tender but still bright green. Season with salt and pepper, and set aside.
2. Saute the bacon over medium heat until crispy. Drain well on paper towels.
3. Sprinkle the Fontina cheese over the bottom of the pie crust. Spread on the Brussels sprouts, and then top with the bacon pieces.
4. Whisk together the cream, milk, and eggs. Season with salt and pepper. Pour the custard mixture carefully over the quiche filling, and even everything out with a rubber spatula.
5. Bake at 375 degrees until puffed and brown, and until a knife comes out mostly clean (30-45 minutes depending on your pan size).

13 comments:

  1. I'm not a huge fan of brussel sprouts, but I love how high and perfect this quiche looks! I think I may sub something else for the brussel sprouts and whip this up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. brussels sprouts and bacon is one of my favorite combos too

    ReplyDelete
  3. This quiche is so irresistible Sara. I might be able to try to make this. Look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow! I LOVE it! I'm a BIG lover of bacon and brussel sprouts and eggy dishes. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is one tasty-looking quiche! Wasn't sure if I'd be willing to eat something made with Brussel Sprouts but that looks too delicious to say no to!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beautiful to look at and I'm sure it was tasty to eat. Brussel sprouts and bacon sounds like a good combo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is one lovely looking quiche!Bacon is a plus!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck on your defense!!!!!!! I've been there, twice, and it's always nerve-wracking! Food always calms things down, so good call on the cheesies!
    Lovely quiche :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brussels sprouts and bacon are a great combo and I am liking the sound of using them in a quiche!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Living in Brussels, I love Brussels Sprouts :-D but seriously, I do love them and also Chicon (Endive). I love the slight bitterness in these 2 vegetables. For me, Brussels Sprouts and Bacon.. superbe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so happy to have found the cooking blog of a fellow Berkeley student! I am going to make this quiche straight away. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks wonderful. Absolutely going to try this.

    ReplyDelete