Sunday, April 29, 2012

Mexican Mocha Coins

I'm totally in love with these tiny chocolate cookies! Of course you can make them any size you like, but I rolled them to a skinny 1-inch diameter since I was baking up lots of cookies for an event at church.  The cookies had lots of flavors going on, with chocolate, espresso, and cinnamon, but they all combined well for a really delicious cookie.  I loved the shortbread-type texture as well: perfectly crisp and tender.  These cookies were pretty addictive, especially with their small size - it was hard to stop popping them in my mouth! 


Mexican Mocha Coins (adapted from Martha Stewart's Cookies)
Makes 10-12 dozen (yield will vary depending on the size of the cookies)

1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
1 T plus 1 tsp instant espresso powder
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp kosher salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
1-1/2 tsp vanilla

1. Whisk together the flour, cocoa, espresso powder, cinnamon, and salt.
2. Beat together the butter and sugar until fluffy.  Add the egg and vanilla and beat until well combined.  Add the dry ingredients and mix on low speed until combined.
3. Divide the dough into two pieces and roll each into a log (I made my logs about 1 inch in diameter for tiny cookies).  Wrap in plastic wrap and chill until firm, at least one hour.
4. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Remove the log from the refrigerator and allow to soften slightly at room temperature, about 5 minutes.  Slice into 1/4-inch rounds.  Place on baking sheets lined with parchment paper, spaced one inch apart. 
5. Bake until there is a slight resistance when you lightly touch the centers, about 10 minutes.  Cool on wire racks.

3 comments:

  1. These look delicious! I love the slice and bake kind of cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the mix of coco, espresso and cinnamon...And the mini versions are really irresistible. I am definitely trying this out.

    ReplyDelete