Whole Wheat Muffins with Figs, Pistachios, and Apricots (adapted from Ancient Grains for Modern Meals)
Makes about 18 muffins
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 cup sugar
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground anise seeds (preferably freshly ground)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup chopped dried Mission figs
1/4 cup chopped dried apricots
3 large eggs
1/2 cup honey
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
3/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
2 tsp orange zest
1/2 cup chopped unsalted toasted pistachios
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line muffin tins with papers (about 18 muffin tins).
2. In a large bowl, whisk together teh flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, anise, and salt. Scatter the figs and apricots over, and toss together to coat in the flour.
3. In a medium bowl, lightly whisk the eggs. Add the honey, olive oil, orange juice, and orange zest and whisk to combine. Add to the dry ingredients and fold in with a rubber spatula until just combined. Fold in the pistachios.
4. Divide the batter among the muffin tins, filling each about 3/4 full.
5. Bake until a tester comes out clean, about 15 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Good warm or at room temperature.
I'm sending these off to BSI: Flour!