Makes about eight 1/3-cup servings
1-1/2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup cashews
3/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/4 cup turbinado sugar, divided
Generous pinch of salt
1/3 cup melted coconut oil
3 T maple syrup
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup chocolate chips
Coarse salt, to finish (i.e. flaky sea salt or kosher salt)
1. Preheat the oven to 250 degrees and line a large baking sheet with foil. Spray lightly with oil.
2. Mix together the oats, cashews, coconut flakes, and turbinado sugar in a large bowl. Reserve about a tablespoon of the turbinado sugar in a small bowl, and add the rest to the oat mixture along with a generous pinch of salt.
3. Pour in the coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla extract. Stir well so that everything is combined. Spread onto the baking sheet in an even layer.
4. Bake 50 minutes. Don't shake or stir the pan unless the granola seems to be over-browning.
5. Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the granola and return to the oven for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven, and sprinkle over the reserved turbinado sugar along with a generous sprinkle of coarse salt.
6. Let cool for at least an hour or two before gently transferring to a storage container.