Monday, March 28, 2011

FFwD: Scallops with Caramel-Orange Sauce

I'm back from an amazing week in France at the Taize community (plus one whirlwind day in Paris!).  I'll post photos soon, but today I wanted to share a fantastic dish I made last week, just before I left.  Tim and I cooked Dorie's scallops with caramel-orange sauce, which were absolutely delicious.  I haven't ever cooked scallops before, but they were a breeze - just a couple of minutes on each side made for perfectly browned-on-the-outside and tender-on-the-inside scallops.  The sauce was also a winner, though making caramel always stresses me out a bit (I've had more than one burned batch before).  This one worked very well though, combining caramelized sugar, orange juice, white wine (we used a bit of sparkling wine from a bottle we had open), and butter.  It was fantastic on both the scallops and the roasted asparagus we served on the side. I would definitely make this sauce again, and I think it would be great on other veggies or ships. 

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like a lovely dinner - your scallops look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your scallops look lovely and I'm sure the sauce did go well with the asparagus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yah, cant wait to see your trip pics - such a lovely meal

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love plates with flowers on them, so pretty! Your food looks wonderful, and like you, I ended up dredging my asparagus in that sauce as well...it was so good! Eager to see Paris photos...oh, yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your scallops look great! Cute plate! Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your sauce sounds marvelous Sara, very tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice. The sauce was also pretty good on chicken...

    Sounds like a great trip!

    ReplyDelete