Wrapping up slow cooker week is this fantastic recipe for butter chicken. I made a more complicated (and probably more authentic) version of butter chicken about a year and a half ago. While that version was definitely really tasty, this one easily rivals it, especially since it is so much easier! This is basically a dump-everything-in-the-slow-cooker recipe - no browning, and not even a ton of chopping. The results are super flavorful. The chicken ends up very saucy, which is great because the sauce is so yummy - but, if you're looking to stretch this recipe, you could definitely add more chicken at the beginning. Leftovers reheat well, so I may do that next time. If you're a fan of spicy food, I'd also recommend adding some red pepper flakes or even some chilies, as this recipe is very mild.
Butter Chicken in the Slow Cooker (adapted from food.com, via Semi-Sweet)
1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
4 cloves of garlic, coarsely chopped
3 T unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
1-1/2 tsp cardamom
1-1/2 tsp curry powder
1-1/2 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp Aleppo pepper or cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp salt
1 can light coconut milk
4-1/2 ounces tomato paste
Juice of 1 lemon
3/4 cup plain yogurt
1. Place the chicken in the bottom of the slow cooker in an even layer. Scatter the onion, garlic, and butter evenly over the chicken.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the cardamom, curry powder, garam masala, Aleppo pepper, ginger, and salt. Evenly scatter over the chicken.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the coconut milk tomato paste, and lemon juice. Pour over the chicken.
4. Cook on high for 4 hours (or on low for 8 hours). Shred the chicken with two forks (should shred easily).
5. Turn the slow cooker to low and stir in the yogurt. Cook 15 minutes or so, and then serve with rice.
This would be perfect for this busy holiday season!ReplyDelete
Sans the onion, I would be all over this!!ReplyDelete
This is my first time to your blog and I am so glad I found it. We recently had butter chicken at a new Indian restaurant in our neighborhood and I would love to make it at home.ReplyDelete
Ooh, nice! I just got my Christmas infusion from Penzeys, including brand new bags of turmeric and fenugreek so this is on the short list. Nothing beats the ease of the slow cooker and your photo looks delectable. Thanks!ReplyDelete
Sara! Late to thank you for linking - so glad you like this recipe - it's the #1 fav on my blog! Cheers, Sarah @ Semi-SweetReplyDelete
can I make it without the yougurt?ReplyDelete
I think it would probably be okay without the yogurt...less creamy, so you might want to add more coconut milk if you go that route.Delete