Makes 8 stuffed peppers
4 bell peppers, halved, seeds removed
1 large red onion, minced
1/4 cup slivered almonds
15-ounce can fire roasted diced tomatoes, drained well
200 g cooked rice
2 T currants
2 T minced fresh parsley
1 large scallion, trimmed and minced
1-1/2 tsp baharat spice blend
Freshly ground black pepper
Parmesan or other cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spray a baking dish with oil, and spray the peppers with oil. Arrange in a single layer, sprinkle with salt, and roast about 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, heat a good drizzle of olive oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, and saute for 10-15 minutes, until nicely softened. Add the almonds, and saute for another few minutes. Add the tomatoes, rice, currants, parsley, scallion, and spice blend. Season with salt and pepper. Stir well to combine and heat through.
3. Carefully divide the rice mixture among the pepper halves. Cover with foil, and bake 25 minutes.
4. Remove the foil, and increase oven heat to 400 degrees. Sprinkle the peppers with Parmesan cheese (or any other cheese you like -- crumbled feta would be great too!). Return to the oven for 15 minutes.
5. Let cool a few minutes before serving.