Monday, August 29, 2011

Carrot-Cumin Salad with Feta Cheese

I've become a huge fan of shredded carrot salads lately - first a Moroccan carrot salad and more recently this lemony cumin version. They're easy to make with a food processor and they're a nice change of pace from lettuce-based salads.  You can also easily adjust the flavors to go with a wide range of main dishes.  In this case, I was serving the salad with pasta, so I went for a couple of flavors that were also in the pasta dish - fresh parsley and freshly squeezed lemon juice.  After tasting the salad, I decided some toasted cumin seeds would be a great addition, and they were - they added a lovely subtle smoky flavor.  The feta on top added great tang and a bit of richness to the salad. 

I've avoided listing specific measurements below because this salad can really be made for any number of people - just adjust everything to taste.  (If you want to make enough for 5-6 people, you can do what I did - six carrots, 1/2 cup loosely packed parsley, 2 tsp cumin seeds, 1/4 cup olive oil, juice of 1 lemon, and 1/2 cup crumbled feta - but really, go by what tastes good to you!)


Carrot-Cumin Salad with Feta Cheese (adapted from Jamie's Food Revolution)

About 1 large carrot per person, peeled and shredded
Coarsely chopped parsley
Salt and pepper
Cumin seeds, toasted in a dry skillet until fragrant
Olive oil
Freshly squeezed Meyer lemon juice
Feta cheese, crumbled

Toss together the carrots and a good handful of parsley, and season with salt and pepper.  Toss in some cumin seeds.  Drizzle on a few good glugs of olive oil, and squeeze on some lemon juice.  Toss everything together and taste - add more of any of the ingredients until the salad tastes good.  Top with crumbled feta and serve.

7 comments:

  1. I love Jaime Oliver, and this carrot dish looks tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to try this out this weekend as a replacement for coleslaw. This dish looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so tasty! I love feta cheese and I've never heard of a dish like this. I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM! Love the cumin and feta all together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've long adored the marriage of carrots and cumin. And feta just makes everything so much better. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds amazing! Cumin is my favorite spice. I can't wait to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks delicious! Very Mediterranean/Middle Eastern. Can't wait to make it :-)

    ReplyDelete