Monday, August 15, 2011

Secret Recipe Club: Flat Iron Steak with Blue Cheese Sauce

For this month's Secret Recipe Club assignment, I was paired up with Family, Friends, and Food.  I was immediately drawn to her recipe for steak with blue cheese sauce, because I love good steak and I really love blue cheese.  The sauce even sounded good enough that I convinced my mom to try it, despite the fact that she's a little skeptical of red meat!  The blue cheese sauce seriously could not be easier (three ingredients shaken up in a jar), but it's absolutely delicious and pairs perfectly with steak.  We served the steak with peppers and onions, as well as red potatoes sauteed in butter and olive oil.  The sauce was also great with the potatoes, and I think it would be fantastic on a salad or a burger, too.  Plus, I love having a recipe to use up little bits of leftover buttermilk - it seems I always have small amounts of things like buttermilk and cream in the fridge that aren't enough to bake with.  This sauce is the perfect solution!


Flat Iron Steak with Blue Cheese Sauce (adapted from Family, Friends, and Food, original recipe here)
Serves 3

1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
1/3 cup buttermilk
Generous dash of Worcestershire sauce
1 pound flat iron steak
Salt and pepper
Canola or vegetable oil

1. Put the blue cheese, buttermilk, and Worcestershire sauce in a jar.  Tightly screw on the lid and shake until everything is combined.  Taste, and add more Worcestershire sauce if needed.  Set aside.
2. Season the steak all over with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a large pan, and when the oil is hot, carefully add the steak.  Cook to your desired level of doneness, and then remove to a cutting board and cover with foil.  Let rest for about 5 minutes, and then thinly slice the steak against the grain.
3. Serve the steak with the blue cheese sauce.

28 comments:

  1. Yummy this looks delicious! What a great recipe for SRC! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love steak and blue cheese so I'm sure I would love your pairing. MMM, I want to grab a fork and dig right in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That steak and sauce looks great! I think it sounds great over potatoes...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a great choice! After my vegetarian week, I'll definitely be looking for a recipe like this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sauce quickly became my favorite since making it! I'm so happy you enjoyed it as well... and it does go beautifully with potatoes and on burgers... yummmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know what flat iron steak is...but I'm assuming flank would work, which I love. The bleu cheese is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Barbara - Yep, flank steak would be great here too...I'm not totally sure where on the cow flat iron steak comes from, but I like it because it's cheap but tender enough to serve pretty rare. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to admit... I really dislike steak.

    Thanks for your comment and do pop over from time to time at my blog to say hello.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great great pick Sara. Love the sauce and am so glad you tried it. Have to look for a substitute for blue cheese here, but am sure this is going to taste gorgeous which ever way! Love those roasted spuds too. It's morning here, and this is making me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Easy and delicious are always a great combo. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love blue cheese - and steak - and blue cheese and steak. Looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have followed Patsy's blog for a long time. She has a lot of great recipes! I love blue cheeses too (my blog contests that!) I'm sure that I would love this sauce also.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks like a great meal. The meat looks wonderful covered in sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love bleu cheese and that dish looks really tempting! Great job Sara!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That picture is making my mouth water! What an awesome dinner!
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  16. This steak sounds great. Especially with the blue cheese sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks delicious! Perfectly cooked, too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great simple steak recipe. Blue cheese is a wonderful accompaniment to steak :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. That looks great. I love blue cheese on steak. Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I <3 blue cheese on almost anything but hubby only likes it paired up with steak or hamburgers. This looks like some low-carb yumminess.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the combination of blue cheese and beef! It's such a classic and I frequently order it when we go out to eat. I'll surely give your sauce a try next time we do burgers or steaks at home.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow! I absolutely love blue cheese but everyone else in my family hates it. I guess I could whip up a small amount for myself. That's what I usually do!

    ReplyDelete
  23. @ Dee:
    That is definitely a great thing about this recipe - the proportions are so easy that it's super simple to make pretty much any amount! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. That looks simple and delicious! My DH isn't a huge fan of blue cheese, though.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I adore blue cheeses of all kinds, from gorgonzola to stilton, ad infinitum! When I saw your steak with blue cheese SRC choice, I immediately got excited. I often dip my bites of steak in blue cheese dressing! It looks wonderful, definitely bookmarked!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Blue cheese and steak is such a great combination! This looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm not a fan of blue cheese but I bet the flank steak tasted deelish!

    Thanks for sharing

    Jennifer
    www.jennifersikora.com

    ReplyDelete