Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Sour Cherry Pie

Is there anything better than sour cherry pie?  I would say no.  It's pretty much summer in a pie plate.  This recipe from Martha Stewart is a classic - brimming full of delicious, juicy Michigan cherries wrapped in buttery crust.  The filling has that perfect sweet-tart balance that always has me going for another slice.  Plus, I love the star design my mom made for the top - so cute!  If you can get a hold of sour cherries (might be too late for this year), you definitely need to make this pie immediately - you won't be sorry!


Sour Cherry Pie (adapted from Martha Stewart's Pies and Tarts)
Makes 1 pie

Pie crust for double crust pie
1 cup white sugar
3 T cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground cardamom
6 cups pitted fresh sour cherries (from about 2 pounds)
1 tsp vanilla
2 T unsalted butter, cut into small pieces

1. Roll out the pie crust into two circles large enough to fit into a 9-inch pie plate.  Fit one circle into the pie plate.  Cut small shapes out of the other circle with a cookie cutter and set aside.
2. Whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, salt, and cardamom in a large bowl.  Add the cherries and vanilla and stir to combine.  Pour into the pie plate.  Dot the topping with butter.
3. Place the second crust on top of the cherries, and then fold under and crimp the edges.
4. Place the pie in the refrigerator for about 30 minues.
5. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.  Bake the pie until the crust is brown and the juices are bubbling, about 1 hour.  Cover the edges with foil to prevent burning if needed.
6. Cool the pie on a wire rack. 


I'm sending this pie off to These Chicks Cooked!

13 comments:

  1. Such a cute pie with the stars! Sounds like a great recipe. I can't wait to get that book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How festive is this pie! It reminds me of Agent Cooper from Twin Peaks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ yummychunklet - That is an awesome compliment, I love Twin Peaks!!! Thank you! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sour cherry pie is great stuff...it manages to be both sweet and tart, the combination of which is utterly addictive! This looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh cherry pie is one of my favs!! but sour..heaven!! love the star cutout, I would never be able to accomplish this..thank you for sharing.
    happy weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love cherry pie! Yours look so gorgeous, mine was never look as good :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. While the cherry pie looks delicious, the backyard looks like paradise, and the cook is charming as well! Nice photo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a gorgeous pie. Sound delicious and refreshing.

    My blog just turned 1 and I’m hosting a giveaway on my blog as a way to say thank you for your supports in the past year. Please come over to check it out if you’re interested. http://utry.it

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful pie!! Love the star crust.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish that I could make a decently pretty pie crust. Alas, no matter how hard I try, that crimped edge never turns out quite as nice as yours did!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Summer in a pie plate is definitely what this looks like! Really beautiful, looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete