Sour Cherry Pie (adapted from Martha Stewart's Pies and Tarts)
Makes 1 pie
Pie crust for double crust pie
1 cup white sugar
3 T cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground cardamom
6 cups pitted fresh sour cherries (from about 2 pounds)
1 tsp vanilla
2 T unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1. Roll out the pie crust into two circles large enough to fit into a 9-inch pie plate. Fit one circle into the pie plate. Cut small shapes out of the other circle with a cookie cutter and set aside.
2. Whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, salt, and cardamom in a large bowl. Add the cherries and vanilla and stir to combine. Pour into the pie plate. Dot the topping with butter.
3. Place the second crust on top of the cherries, and then fold under and crimp the edges.
4. Place the pie in the refrigerator for about 30 minues.
5. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Bake the pie until the crust is brown and the juices are bubbling, about 1 hour. Cover the edges with foil to prevent burning if needed.
6. Cool the pie on a wire rack.
I'm sending this pie off to These Chicks Cooked!