Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Orange-Chocolate Chip Macaroons

I've made these coconut macaroons for two church events lately, and both times they were a big hit.  The best part is that the cookies are so easy to make - mixing up the batter takes just a few minutes and you don't need to pull out a stand mixer or even more than one bowl!  The cookies are a bit crisp on the outside and chewy on the inside with fantastic coconut flavor, a lovely orange scent, and bits of chocolate.  They'll soften a bit if you keep them overnight, but I think this makes them even tastier (I haven't managed to hold onto any longer than overnight!).  Another bonus of this recipe is that it's naturally gluten free, so it's great to prepare for events where you're don't know everyone's dietary restrictions.  Although I've made this chocolate orange version both times I made the recipe, I think this recipe could be infinitely adaptable - you could use pretty much any citrus zest and change up the mix-ins if you like.  I think a lime zest-white chocolate or a lemon zest-slivered almond version would be amazing! 


Orange-Chocolate Chip Macaroons (adapted from The Sweet Melissa Baking Book)
Makes about 3 dozen

14 ounces sweetened coconut
Zest of one orange
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup chocolate chips
3 egg whites

1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment or foil.
2. Combine the coconut and orange zest in a large bowl and rub together with your fingers until the mixture is fluffy and uniform.  Add the sugar and chocolate chips and stir to combine.  Add the egg whites and mix with your hands until the mixture is uniform.
3. Scoop out the coconut mixture with a tablespoon, compacting the mixture into the scoop and then sliding each cookie onto the baking sheet, round side up.  Repeat with the remaining coconut mixture.  Bake 25-30 until the cookies are lightly browned.
4. Let cool completely before peeling the cookies off of the foil or parchment.
5. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days (the cookies will soften over time, which I think is a nice thing!), or freeze for up to three weeks wrapped in plastic and then foil.


Above, a photo of Tim, me, and Katy sipping wine at the wine and cheese fundraiser where I served a batch of these delicious macaroons.  Everyone brought a bottle, we covered up the labels, and then we all tried to guess which wine was which - Tim managed to guess all of the wines!  We also snacked on delicious cheeses from Cheeseboard - Delice d'Argental, Ewephoria, Swiss, Besace du Berger, Drunken Goat, Ossau-Iraty, and Cambozola.  We also devoured this gorgeous fruit tart from my friend Erin:


I'm sending this post off to the These Chicks Cooked Link PartyI'm also sending these cookies off to the Cookie Party at the Secret Recipe Club.

6 comments:

  1. Since I'm still too chicken to try my hand at French macaroons, these will be a great and tasty alternative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great flavor for macaroons! Aaaaand, what a fun night of wine tasting and guessing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, SO easy! I want to make these immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  4. do you whip the eggwhites before adding?

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Anon: Nope, just put them in as is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - these are crazy good! I just made a double batch for my niece's school function tomorrow. I didn't have any citrus in the house, so I used the 'buttery sweet dough' emulsion from King Arthur Flour instead (because it has citrusy undertones) and I don't miss the orange at all. I also added pecan pieces.

    I also combined the egg whites and sugar to start, and added the coconut afterward...I found it easier to mix that way for the 2nd batch.

    ReplyDelete