Friday, April 19, 2013

Peanut Butter Ice Cream with Fudge Ripple

My thoughts and prayers are with everyone in the Boston area today...

Quite a while back, Tim picked up a copy of the new Bi-Rite Creamery cookbook for me, and I had such a fun time looking at all the different ice cream options inside!  After quite a lot of deliberation, we settled on the peanut butter ice cream with fudge ripple, and that was definitely an excellent decision.  I made the ice cream several months ago, but somehow never got around to posting it until now - I'm glad I found it among my 'drafts' because I'm ready to make it again!  The ice cream is rich and sweet, with lots of peanut butter flavor.  It stands up well to the fudge ripple, which stays fluid even after it's frozen (for easy scooping). It kind of reminds me of a peanut butter cup in ice cream form - so good!


Peanut Butter Ice Cream with Fudge Ripple (adapted from Sweet Cream and Sugar Cones)
Makes about 2 pints

5 large egg yolks
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup smooth peanut butter
1-1/2 cups half-and half
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/3 cup Fudge Ripple (see below)

1. In a medium bowl, whisk together the yolks and half the sugar (6 T).  Put the peanut butter in another bowl, and set both bowls aside.
2. In a heavy saucepan, whisk together the cream, milk, salt, and remaining 6 T sugar.  Place over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally.  When the mixture just starts to simmer, reduce the heat to medium.
3. Very slowly pour the hot cream mixture into the egg mixture, whisking constantly.  Return to medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened (i.e. coats the back of a spatula, about 2 minutes).
4. Strain through a fine-mesh strainer into the bowl with the peanut butter.  Whisk to combine.  Cover, and chill until very cold, ideally overnight.  
5. Freeze according to the instructions for your ice cream maker.  As you transfer the ice cream to a freezer-safe container, alternate a few spoonfuls of ice cream with a drizzle of the fudge ripple.  
6. Freeze for 2-4 hours to let the ice cream firm up before serving.

Fudge Ripple (adapted from Sweet Cream and Sugar Cones)

1/4 cup plus 1 T sugar
1/4 cup water
3 T Dutch-process cocoa, measured and then sifted
2 T corn syrup
Pinch salt
1/2 ounce bittersweet chocolate, chopped (about 2 T)
1/4 tsp vanilla

1. In a small saucepan, whisk together the sugar, water, cocoa, corn syrup, and salt.  Place over medium high heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture comes to a simmer.
2. Once the sugar has dissolved, remove from heat.  Scatter the chocolate over, let sit for 30 seconds or so, and then whisk until smooth.  Whisk in the vanilla.  Refrigerate until very cold.

5 comments:

  1. My daughter bought me an ice cream maker a few years ago, basically so I could make her ice cream, her favorite dessert. I'll need to bring it out again for this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be churning brown sugar ice cream to make browned butter sugar cookie sandwiches but I AM SURE I will be making this ice cream too! It looks soooooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, I'm ready to start making homemade ice cream! This looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like the perfect indulgence!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this recipe! I need to get my ice cream maker out of winter storage and fire it up again. One of my favorite flavors is vanilla ice cream loaded with Reese's peanut butter cup and chocolate covered pretzels.

    ReplyDelete