Monday, April 29, 2013

Spiced Apple Bundt Cake

We've been getting mountains of apples in our CSA, and so I've been trying to use them lots of different ways.  This cake turned out to be an excellent choice - it's chock full of apples and warm spices for a delicious and satisfying dessert.  I especially love how the apples and sugar caramelize on the outside crust - so good!  One word of warning - because this cake has so many apples, it falls apart very easily, so this is pretty messy and probably not a 'having company' sort of cake.  Don't let that worry you, though - it keeps really well and we managed to gobble it all up between two of us over the course of a week or so.



Spiced Apple Bundt Cake (adapted from Feast of Eden, via The Culinary Chronicles)

3 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
1 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups peeled, chopped apples

1. Preheat oven to 350 and oil a Bundt pan.
2. Whisk together the sugar, flour, cinnamon, baking powder, salt, cloves, and nutmeg.  Add the oil, eggs, and vanilla and stir to combine with a rubber spatula.  The mixture will be very thick - don't worry! Fold in the apples.
3. Bake 60-75 minutes, until a tester comes out clean.  Let cool 20 minutes, and then turn out onto a wire rack.

8 comments:

  1. With cake like that, I'd be one happy gal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looove apples in baked goods - they always smell SO divine while they're cooking + are so homey + comforting. Your bundt cake looks + sounds just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to love going to my Mom's pot lucks at church - I could always count on a good bundt cake! Looks delicious Sara! Thanks for the push today - I went to the gym! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, it's been awhile since I've had a baked apple dessert. This cake looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. apple cakes are a great way to use up CSA fruit! i agree; they do always end up a little messy, but they taste really good. I think the messiness is a good sign b/c it means there's just loads of apple chunks in there, and that makes me happy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks scrumptious. When I was a CSA member, I had no idea what to do with the mountains of apples! I think I just made fresh apple crisp, like, every night for my husband and I! haha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yum, your cake sounds so delicious! Love that it's spiced too!

    ReplyDelete