Saturday, April 27, 2013

Tilapia with Mango Salsa and Cilantro Rice

I recently discovered Worst Cooks in America on On Demand, although I didn't realize at the time that I was watching an old season (season 2)!  It did make it a little difficult to find the recipes used on the show, but luckily I was able to track them down.  I'm really glad I did, because this fish dish is fantastic! I really love the mango sauce served over the fish - the garlic and ginger add a great kick to the juicy fruit, plus it adds a bright pop of color to an otherwise beige plate.  I was also really impressed with the rice preparation - I always love white rice with fish, and here it's dressed up with cilantro and scallions.  I liked that the rice instantly felt more special with very little effort.  The fish is prepared very simply, and you can use any fish you like here - the original recipe called for mahi-mahi, which is certainly more 'restaurant worthy' but was a little out of my price range.  Tilapia is also really tasty and stands up well to the bold flavors of the mango salsa.


Tilapia with Mango Salsa and Cilantro Rice (adapted from Worst Cooks in America)
Serves 4

For the salsa:
1 large mango, peeled and diced
1 tsp rice vinegar
2 T mild olive oil
Juice of 1 lime
2 T minced fresh cilantro
1/2 to 1 small clove garlic, minced (to taste)
1 tsp minced fresh ginger
Salt and pepper

For the rice:
1 cup jasmine rice
2 cups water
2 T minced fresh cilantro
2 scallions, green parts only, chopped
Salt

For the fish:
Olive oil
4 tilapia fillets
Salt and pepper

1. Prepare the mango salsa.  Stir all the salsa ingredients together in a small bowl and cover.  Stash in the fridge while you prepare the rest of the meal.
2. Prepare the rice.  Combine the rice and water in a saucepan, cover, and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to a low simmer, and simmer for about 15 minutes, until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender.  Fluff with a fork and stir in the cilantro and scallions.  Season to taste with salt.
3. While the rice is cooking, prepare the fish.  Heat a large, non-stick pan over medium-high heat.  Add a drizzle of olive oil, and swirl to coat the bottom of the pan.  When the oil is hot, add the fish and season generously with salt and pepper.  Cook a couple of minutes per side, until the fish is just cooked through (it will flake easily).
4. Serve the fish with the rice and mango salsa.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, tilapia and mango...two of my favs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. from Worst Cooks in America?
    I loved that show!
    I am so bad at slicing up a mango; slippery little critters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, so fun! :) I will have to admit I totally cheated on the mango and cut up pre-cut slices from Trader Joe's! :)

      Delete
  3. I LOVE mango salsa over fish. I usually add a little finely diced red onion to mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tilapia with mango salsa: totally one of my favorites, and i love the cilantro rice addition. I just made fish tacos the other day with grilled tilapia and some cilantro slaw... i felt like it helped summer weather get here a little bit, because it's such a summery dish.

    ReplyDelete