Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Honey Ice Cream

A while back, I won some Bee Raw honey on Blake's Makes.  I love winning things.  :)  And I love honey, so this was a good deal all around.  As luck would have it, my housemate bought a big tub of wildflower honey right before my box came, so it took me a while to open up the honey from Bee Raw, but I was definitely glad when I did!  It was the wild raspberry variety, and when I first tasted it I thought they'd added actual raspberries to it.  Looking at the label, though, I realized it was 100% honey and the flavor came from the flowers the bees were pollinating.  So cool!

The honey was fantastic on peanut butter and honey sandwiches, as a dip for pretzels, and on top of hot cereal.  I also made some of it into a batch of honey ice cream, which was entirely delicious!  If you have some good honey, I definitely would recommend trying this ice cream. It makes a small batch, just a pint, which in my opinion is the perfect amount since I always love to try new flavors.  Plus, it leaves plenty of your honey for other uses.  The honey flavor comes through well and is fantastic on its own or with some cookies.



Honey Ice Cream (adapted from Tartelette, original recipe here)

1/4 cup best quality honey
2 egg yolks
Pinch salt
3/4 cup millk
3/4 cup heavy cream

In a large bowl, beat the honey and egg yolks until light in color. Heat the milk and cream to a bare boil in a large heavy saucepan. Pour the mixture over the eggs and return the mixture to the saucepan and gently heat (do not boil) until the mixture coats the back of a spoon. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Process in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's directions.

2 comments:

  1. Ooohh my gosh, that ice cream looks so good! This would be awesome with Tropical Traditions' honey. It's some of the highest quality stuff you can get. Have you tried it?

    -Sarah.j.s.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love honey so much ... using this for ice cream will definitely make it more fragrant and delicious.

    ReplyDelete