Thursday, June 17, 2010

Zucchini-Lemon-Goat Cheese Pizza

I have to say, pizza night might be one of my favorite ways to spend time with friends. I usually invite a few folks over and make 4-6 pizzas (depending on the crowd), usually with at least a few unusual or exciting toppings thrown in. We have some great pizza pans that I rotate through the oven, and I have everything prepped ahead so I don't have to spend too much time in the kitchen. This pizza is from a pizza night a few weeks ago, and it definitely did not disappoint.

The combination of lemon-y goat cheese and zucchini is really fantastic, with the rich goat cheese and the fresh zucchini making the perfect pairing. Lots of freshly ground black pepper on top rounds everything out with a little spice.


Zucchini-Lemon-Goat Cheese Pizza (adapted from Smitten Kitchen, original recipe here)

Dough for one pizza crust

1 Meyer lemon
4 ounces goat cheese, at room temperature
A handful of fresh basil, thinly sliced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Drizzle of olive oil
1/2 medium yellow zucchini, sliced very thinly
1/2 medium green zucchini, sliced very thinly

1. Juice and zest the lemon.  Add it to the goat cheese along with the basil and mix to combine.  Add salt and pepper to taste.
2. Stretch the pizza dough out to cover your pan.  Drizzle with olive oil and spread with a pastry brush or fingers until it lightly covers the crust.  Add the goat cheese and carefully spread over the pizza.
3. Layer the zucchini over the goat cheese in concentric circles.  Top with a generous amount of freshly grated black pepper.
4. Bake in a 500 degree oven until the crust is nicely browned and the zucchini is cooked through. 

My friends Peter and Nina, about to dig in!

6 comments:

  1. Perfect timing for this week's CSA box full of summer squash - I'll be making something very similar this weekend, methinks! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pizza look so tempting and delicious Sara. I never made zucchini pizza before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pizza is one of those foods that I never get sick of. I could eat it every day.

    This looks so fresh and summery...thanks for sharing :D I'm also on a bit of a lemon kick so that just adds to the appeal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ummm....yum! This looks like something that the Cheeseboard would create. Nice job. I miss Berkeley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm, cheeseboard...so good!

      Delete
    2. I got some zucchini in my CSA box tonight, so I made a version. SO delicious! http://culinary-adventures-with-cam.blogspot.com/2013/07/zucchini-lemon-chevre-pizza.html

      Delete